Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More (or less!) help on FTTP.

Shackman205
Rising Star

More (or less!) help on FTTP.

A bit of help or advice please.

Last year our community got together and we reached enough members to enter the Gigabit Voucher scheme with Openreach for fibre to the community to be provided, as our VDSL speeds across the village are somewhat varied. When I signed up last summer I had hoped/assumed Plusnet FTTP would be up and running by now from the positive noises coming from Sheffield, although I watched the delays building in with some trepidation.

Anyway, our Community Fibre project has just gone live, which means (in accordance with the T&Cs of the scheme) I have to select an ISP for connection within two months. As a long standing Plusnet customer I really would like to stay with you; I know I have the option to move to BT or EE without the ETC, but would much rather stay with an ISP that I like and appreciate.

So my queries are:

Is it worth hanging on for another month before making a move? I know you can't be too specific!

My email address is still '@freenetname.co.uk' - if I were to move to BT (say) would I still be able to use it/take it with me?

Would I have to wait the requisite 24 months (minimum contract) before returning to Plusnet (assuming your FTTP service is up and running)?

I should also add that I spoke to Customer Services earlier this week about it, and somehow or other ended up with a new contract!!

Regards to all

12 REPLIES 12
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: More (or less!) help on FTTP.

@Shackman205 

Unless you're desperate for more speed  I would hang on until the last possible moment if you want to stay with PlusNet. Make sure you research alternatives in case PN haven't got the act together by the time you need to choose an ISP for FTTP.

If it wasn't your intention to sign a new contract is there a cooling off period for you to cancel?

Brian

Shackman205
Rising Star

Strangely it wasn't my intention, but at half the price it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Re speed, although I'm not desperate, overall our village is quite slow. so most of us signed up for the fibre to the community partnership (which includes the requirement to change to a FTTP provider within two months of it going live), as it seemed that Plusnet would have the service 'by the end of 2021'(!) at the time. As we know that hasn't happened, and is now 'some time in 2022', and in another post maybe 'soon'.

bmc
Hero

@Shackman205 

I believe PlusNet FTTP will only happen when they get their back office systems working with it. However a couple of weeks back a PlusNet Admin staffer said "very soon" (his italics) while another staffer has also mentioned it since on the forums. A support agent reportedly spoke of "June"

If you stick with your contract then only BT or EE are your FTTP options without early termination fees if you have to jump ship. Make sure you speak to PlusNet first and get them to transfer you to BT or EE.

Brian

Shackman205
Rising Star

Hi bmc,

It was the mention of 'very soon' and 'June' that have got my hopes up - although i don't expect a positive answer I'm hoping there might be a crumb of comfort in an answer.

Unfortunately I understand the hoops I may have to go through to move, although as I said at the beginning I'm really happy with Plusnet (and the community forum). Hopefully tomorrow there may be some sort of answer from the source of all knowledge (aka a moderator)

Shackman

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Shackman205 

For information mods are customers like you. You will not get a definite date until there is an official announcement but has been said, ‘soon’ has been mentioned by Plusnet. 
if you have two months to select a FTTP ISP then I suggest that you hang on for now and only jump ship if there’s no news by the last few days of this period.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Shackman205
Rising Star

For now then I will 'keep my powder dry', but can anyone answer the second part of my question re keeping my freenetname webmail if I have to move?

Shackman

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Plusnet mail only accounts are no longer available.

Freenetname/Madasafish apparently are. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

There always seems to be an exception to a rule and here that's Freenetname email addresses along with all others as part of the legacy Madasafish brand are 100% separate from Plusnet accounts, so you won't lose your existing Freenetname/Madasafish address, if you close your Plusnet account. 

But if you can hang tight and resist the temptation of FTTP for a little while longer, we should be able to offer you it soon! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Shackman205
Rising Star

Gandalf,

Thank you for the update re email,  and as suggested  I will hang tight on FTTP for a little while longer whilst keeping fingers, legs and anything else crossed.

🤞

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries, aye it would good to provide you with FTTP. Been a long time coming! 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@Shackman205 

PlusNet have done a soft launch of FTTP today - give them a phone to get your order in.

FTTP Trial forum has been renamed to Fiull Fibre - look at the thread PlusNet Full Fibre.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Shackman205 

To add to my previous post.

The product is Internet only - no phone and you lose your current phone number.

Brian