Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee/Norton

FIXED
DandD
Hooked

McAfee/Norton

Hi All,

Just booted up an old PC that I haven't used for a while. Installed Norton, which uninstalled McAfee, except it didn't. I still have about a dozen McAfee processes running and when I look at my installed programmes list McAfee isn't in there anywhere.

Any advice?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: McAfee/Norton

@DandD I can't, off the top of my head, tell you where to look - probably on the McAfee site itself - but there should be an uninstaller tool which should have been run prior to installing Norton. AV programs (especially) don't like to be uninstalled.

John
DandD
Hooked

Yes, the uninstaller tool ran, but left a bunch of McAfee stuff on the computer. It's not actually in the way, but will they bill me for any of it now that it is' t part of Plusnet package?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Elsee

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Fix

No they won't bill you for it, but it would be good if you could remove it. As I said, there should be an uninstaller tool on the McAfee site which 'should' remove the detritus, but you may have to temporarily disable Norton whilst running it. I can't tell you more than that, as I (a) last uninstalled an AV program about ten years ago and (b) haven't used a M$ platform for a long time, so have no idea how they are set to perform any more.

John
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@DandD 

Removing McAfee was a nightmare even 10 yrs ago ... I think I used Malwarebytes for some leftover bits but there is definitely a removal tool somewhere. Is your old machine W7 or will it take W10 with the free and excellent (so far) Windows Defender?

Mike

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

You could try using these instructions

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view 

warning there a scammers possing as working for virus comapnies who promise to help with each and everything so take care if you search for assitance.

Dan

DandD
Hooked

Running the removal tool off McAfee website now. Slow, but seems to be working.

DandD
Hooked

Thanks guys.