Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys Velop Wifi 6 set up

NicoD
Hooked

Linksys Velop Wifi 6 set up

Hi all,

I just bought a Linksys Velop Wifi6 mesh system for my home to support increasing number of devices for the entire family. I think I have set it up correctly (ethernet wire on the back on my Plusnet Hub, and disconnected the wifi from advanced settings).

However, when I check the speed of the system, it gives me 30 Mb as download and 6 Mb as upload. Is that good? I thought the speed with the mesh system would be much higher, hence why I bought it.

Did I miss anything with the set up on the Plusnet hub?

Thanks so much for any advice here.

Nico

12 REPLIES 12
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Linksys Velop Wifi 6 set up

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from General Chat to Everything Else.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@NicoD   Welcome to the forum  

It doesn’t matter how much you spend on you WiFi extension systems you can never connect to the Internet faster than the speed obtainable if you use an Ethernet cable between your Plusnet Hub and a computer.

So what do you get with a wired connection?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@NicoD 

Further to my previous post a quick look at specs suggests that this mesh system includes a router function. This causes you a further problem. To avoid double NATing problems you either need to ditch your Plusnet Hub and buy a modem to connect in its place or switch the mesh system to access point mode. If you do this you will lose the use of the the additional bells and whistles built in to this very expensive device.

Have you fully thought through your requirements?.

Moderator and Customer

NicoD
Hooked

Thanks for your quick response. What does double NATing problems mean exactly? 

Baldrick1

@NicoD 

Here is an article on the subject:  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

What you probably have is shown as Scenario 2.

You cannot use Plusnet Hubs in bridge modem mode.

Moderator and Customer

NicoD
Hooked

That article is super helpful, thank you. Right now the system works well, but of course if is early days. 

I have older version of the Plusnet router/modem (I have been with Plusnet for 15 years) - would it help if I use one of those older version?

Baldrick1

@NicoD 

If you have had a fibre connection for many years and have an Openreach fibre modem then you can use that. Just put it between the master socket and mesh system. You then enter your Plusnet credentials in the mesh router.

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've got a Linksys Velop setup in my house, I couldn't get it to work properly with the Hub One, so I'm too using it as a router and have to plugged into an old Openreach modem, so I'd recommend going down this path. 

I've just tested your line as well and the tests are showing you're getting a good speed of 38mbps that's within the estimates of between 35mbps to 50mbps. The Velop wouldn't improve on this, but the wireless connectivity around your home that I've found should be vastly superior to the Hub One.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NicoD
Hooked

I have an Openreach modem NGA ECI-CPE-MODEMS Type 1B, is that a fibre one?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep that’s the one 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NicoD
Hooked

Great, thank you. I might need further instructions to set it up correctly. I have just tried (connected between mesh and ADSL filter) but the system did not recognise my new wifi network (which I created after setting up the Velop). 

Also, if I need to re-enter my Plusnet credentials, which one shall I use? Network name and key from the back of my Hub One?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge here 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @NicoD although I’ve got limited knowledge in setting it up as my house mate actually did it. 

To setup the Velop to connect to the internet, you’d use your credentials in the form of username@plusdsl.net and your account password: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Feel free to post back if you need further help or advice as I’m sure there may be other people on the Community able to assist if I can’t.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet