Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address and Location

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

IP Address and Location

THe internet seems to know where I live which is in Cheshire.

I got an email from Amazon to say that somebody had logged into my account with my correct IP address but gave the location as Cornwall!

My wife uses the account to and may well have been logged in at the time but we live in the same house.

Was this just some kind of error or attempted hack. Nobody bought anyhing that day.

Any suggestions about the differing location?

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: IP Address and Location

IP address geolocation data is not an exact science - different data providers might report different locations.  User's of different providers will therefore report different locations.  I too am in Cheshire and get located all over the country.

If you can correlate the warning with your own activity then do not worry.  If you cannot, change the Amazon account password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

It certainly isn't, @Townman . Can you explain this one, though? I am , as you know in Sheffield, and Google maps on my iPad correctly locates me - down to within about 20 yards. However, if I use Google maps on the laptops - either of them, it locates me in Lenton, Nottingham?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

The iPad is using GPS, your laptop is dependent on the geolocation data for the IP address or the default address in the web browser.

If I look here https://iplocation.io/ then I'm located all over the UK.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo corrected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Cheers, @Townman - I hadn't thought about that Knuppel . Will check in a bit.

Right - using your link, IP2 has Reading, IPInfo Nottingham, IPGeoLocation Oldham and DB-IP London W1 .

John
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks for comments about this. Sounds like there is nothing to worry about and both addresses begin with "C"  !!

It is a pity that one cannot access Amazon login history but there would have to be rather a large amount of data to be managed and accessed.

I will be removing my credit card as they no longer are accepting VISA cards and I have just paid upfront for Prime.