Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer a domain out

FIXED
ChrisInChip
Hooked

How to transfer a domain out

Where can I find out how to initiate the steps to transfer out my domain to another host? It seems that PlusNet have removed all means of support communication apart from Twitter (no use to me) and daytime phone calls.

9 REPLIES 9
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: How to transfer a domain out

Thanks for your post @ChrisInChip and apologies for the delayed response.

If you can drop me a PM with the domain name and the IPSTAG of your new provider I'll get that arranged for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ChrisInChip
Hooked

Thank you. It is odd that the prospective new hosting service finds this an unusual approach. They have repeated that normally the existing host provides an EPP that the owner can use as evidence of domain ownership to the new host.

Anyway, rather than going round in circles I will see what happens when I get the new host set up and initiate the domain transfer.

Thanks for your quick response.

Chris

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

Changing the IPSTAG is the defined procedure for a .uk domain. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

An EPP key is used for .com domains 

ChrisInChip
Hooked

Excellent. That makes it a much clearer and the new host is now talking the same language and I have their EPS Tag. Both sides seem to want to initiate so I guess I'll just tee it at both ends and hope they meet in the middle. I'd best go and open up an account with the new host first.

Thanks all for the helpful input above.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd best go and open up an account with the new host first.

That's the normal procedure. You open the account and request the domain transfer in. You then get your current domain host to change the IPSTAG to the new one. Once they see the IPSTAG has changed, the new host will complete the transfer.

Effectively, being able to get the IPSTAG changed, confirms to the new host that you have 'control' over the domain

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ChrisInChip
Hooked

This has been a learning curve and there may still be more to go, but I thought it could be useful to summarise the steps as currently determined with the new hosting service. Not yet proven though 🙏🙄

STEPS
1) Change email MX Records to the new host addresses (this can be done later but has been moved to this position to resolve login timeouts when migrating email to the new host) - request to PlusNet
2) Create email accounts (can be done at the start) and migrate emails using an IMAP email client - Thunderbird. (I could not get it to work on Outlook)
3) web transfer/build or set up an info/apologies page (could be done before email if this is a priority, email is my priority)
4) repoint DNS to new host - request to PlusNet
5) Change email clients to use new email servers
6) Finish off the website
7) let it settle and check all is working - once domain transfer (next step)  is initiated no DNS change can be made for 10 days.
8.) transfer domain registration in slow time (give new registrars IPS tag to current registrar to enable a .uk transfer, .com is slightly different and uses an EPP code) - only need to do this 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

1) Change email MX Records to the new host addresses (this can be done later but has been moved to this position to resolve login timeouts when migrating email to the new host) - request to PlusNet

I thought that was still one of the things you can do yourself via the Domain control https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2&?membermenu=domainnames

I'm not sure you can do that without transferring the domain. Certainly PlusNet can ONLY host the domain if it points to their DNS servers

and once you're all finished, dont forget to setup SPF and DKIM for email with your new host

ChrisInChip
Hooked

I thought that was still one of the things you can do yourself via the Domain control https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2&?membermenu=domainnames

You're absolutely right. Under advanced, then in the Type column the "A" can be changed to "MX" using the drop down. Thanks. Would never have found it.

I'm not sure you can do that without transferring the domain. Certainly PlusNet can ONLY host the domain if it points to their DNS servers

I hope that being the registrar for a domain and hosting the domain are independent in PlusNet's world, fingers crossed! I totally get the 2nd second sentence.

and once you're all finished, dont forget to setup SPF and DKIM for email with your new host

Great advice, thanks for the reminder. I had read about it but left it off my checklist.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.