cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with highly aggressive scammers

brennanthurston
Grafter

Help with highly aggressive scammers

Within the last couple of days I had some highly aggressive phone calls from the following numbers:

All claiming they were either from BT or MS and about to block my computer and/or internet access if I didn't give them remote access to my data.  Certainly not doing the Asian community a favour, but that's one thing.

They are getting more and more aggressive.

The 077...number claimed to be from HMRC and was going to investigate me for tax fraud.....(after 6.30pm, hard working)

I opted for the nuisance call blocker but still get these highly disturbing calls.

How can I add number to the call blocker myself?

Thanks

Jule

18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Help with highly aggressive scammers

Never had cause to use the facility - yet, although I do have it installed, but try this link: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/plusnet-call-protect

Others may be able to help you more.

John
brennanthurston
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. At least I got the last caller (01443 833 624, couple of minutes ago, claiming to be from a government department) on the block list.....

I wish I could find out how to add a list of numbers rather than having to wait for their next call.

Jule

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Sadly, I don't think you can add a 'list' of callers without them calling you, but I found out a while back that the best way of reducing (sadly not eliminating) spam calls is to ignore (don't pick up) any call you don't recognise - after a while they work out you are a waste of time and remove you from the numbers they call.

John
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes of course HMRC would call you to tell you they were going to investigate you.  Perhaps it's a new service so you have time to transfer your money to a tax haven; how considerate of them. Laugh

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Tell them to send it to you in writing, giving no personal information away - if it were legit they would know who you are.

brennanthurston
Grafter

@Jonpe

That's what I thought, too.....and so convenient after 6pm....really hard working....even calling from an O2 mobile phone Cheesy Thumbs_Up

Yes of course HMRC would call you to tell you they were going to investigate you.  Perhaps it's a new service so you have time to transfer your money to a tax haven; how considerate of them. Laugh

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Another thing you could do if you subscribe to caller identification is get a phone that you can block numbers & call types on too.

I had 1 setup quite aggressively that only let numbers in the address book through, blocked all international calls & announced unknown numbers where the phone took the call without ringing asking the caller to identify themselves then the phone would ring & announce the caller asking if you wanted to take the call or block the number. For me that eliminated nuisance calls as the troublesome callers would never identify themselves so the phone just hung up the call without ringing at all.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yes that's a good system really, and what I do.

With me and my landline there is only really one or two people who would call me on there. So I ignore any others (and I get them).

Trouble is you can't always be in that position if you need to take non-spam other calls. I've know companies who withhold their CLID (for some reason), which could be a legit one.

Hobo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Get yourself one of the BT call blocker phones, since buying one I have not had one scam call in 18 months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Blocker-Cordless-Machine/dp/B01BWMWTM6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&...

Alex
Community Veteran

Hmm they look good. Smiley

I've got two cordless phones and they're from 2005, still work but like anything 12 years is a long time in technology.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have one of the BT8600 phones and in the first week or so it trapped around a dozen spam calls per week.

However since then I have received none. It's like the spammers recognise the futility of calling and strike me off their list.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran

Yep it's not too expensive, may suggest it to my parents.

They keep getting the scam "There is a problem with your internet" calls. At my age it is just an annoyance, but at theirs I always think of the worst. Say what is mum in the bath and fell trying to answer a scam call.

Mine seem to come and go, I get weeks of having none followed by weeks of having a few. It hasn't sufficently annoyed me enough to think about replacing the phones. Though I guess that time may come Tongue

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@Alex wrote:

Yep it's not too expensive, may suggest it to my parents.

@Alex, I bought few times ( 8600 models) from here (refurb with a 12-month warranty, free delivery)  all like new. 

Start from £ 22.99 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I have a BT Halo which is more expensive but I do like the Bluetooth connectivity.

It's set to allow all calls from people who are in it's phone book, block international and query all others by asking for their name before even ringing the handset.

Net result zero spam calls received.

Expanding on Bluetooth I can copy all my mobile numbers to the Halo and can pair the devices allowing me use one handset for all calls.