Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help for elderly

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Help for elderly

probably not eligible for any of this but if so would still be penalised for leaving Plusnet my mistake was to leave BT phone for Plusnet backalong  Have had Plusnet internet for years

stathe
Rising Star

Can I change back to BT as it owns Plusnet ?Huh

Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

@stathe 

If you were to break your contract and return to BT then you will still lose your Plusnet email service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I realise Burrowbridge is quite rural - I go through it when I cycle to Taunton - so Broadband there might be quite expensive. However, it's amazing what PN can come up with if you tell them you're tempted by someone else's prices. Don't tell 'em you've got a reason to want to stay. Let them think you might leave if they don't offer you a lower price. Remember if your contract has another year to run there'll be a penalty for leaving, though. If you can get a lower price on a renewed contract you'll have won something.

If you can't you'll have to weigh up the cheaper deal against the loss of e-mail address and penalty for leaving early.

HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Lots of people started using their ISP-supplied address as their primary email and stuck with it.

Tieing it to banking and other important services now, with hindsight, is not so wise.

As advised above I'd acquire an independent email address (Google etc. there's plenty of choice) and start migrating to that.

My final comment about this is that an ISP MUST allow users to retain their email address for some considerable time, ideally indefinitely, after terminating a broadband contract. This should be free, or at best a nominal fee

To terminate email immediately and delete the emails held, as PlusNet does, is downright immoral. 😠 And quite probably a form of discrimination.

On a positive note, I still have "free" Tiscali and Yahoo email addresses acquired so long ago I can't remember when!

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

As an addition I will point out that (at least one) credit card company have user ids and passwords specific to them, and any associated e-mail addresses can be edited and changed (and I don't work for them).

I'd lay the blame at the people in all the various companies that assumed an e-mail address was some some of permanent contact. Which it isn't.

stathe
Rising Star

I already have a plusnet email a yahoo.co.uk e mail and an @gmail .com They come on Thunderbird Plusnet the important one for finance and personal  What would you advise I may stay here until something happens 

stathe
Rising Star

My response from Plusnet when I raised this not good I find it hard to comunicate as It all goes blank while I type I understand that the aged get help with fees But maybe not from you I need wired phone and plusnet e mail  How much longer will this be available

stathe
Rising Star

Why dont plusnet offer this as they are part of BT arent they

stathe
Rising Star

I will have to stay with Plusnet then  an d pay

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"If you make any change to your phone/broadband package you are likely to lose your land line phone"

That likelihood is not stated when a change is requested and actioned.

stathe
Rising Star

Why not ?? Evasive ?Huh

stathe
Rising Star

Only recently working well,                   It seems I will need to stay with Plusnet until something happens then