cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gradually losing access to Plusnet servers?

fairmaiden
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Gradually losing access to Plusnet servers?

When I reset my router I can access these boards and my (freenetname) email account OK.

After about 30 mins or so I can access ALL other websites EXCEPT plusnet website, webmail

and my email account doesn't work anymore!

I think this has only been happening in the last 24 hours - my router has a Vodafone

SIM card (i.e. mobile broadband) in it.

Can anyone help me?

16 REPLIES 16
fairmaiden
Rising Star

Re: Gradually losing access to Plusnet servers?

Additional information:

1. when this occurs, I try and access the plusnet website on my iPad via my router and that doesn't work either,

so is it the router or the IP address being somehow blocked?

2. BUT when I Disable/Enable my Wireless Connection Adapter (in Network & Sharing Centre) that also

sometimes brings back access for a while?

fairmaiden
Rising Star

So, this morning I tried the Ethernet cable - slightly faster access to websites but still gradually can't get Plusnet servers.

I managed to get my emails (if I do it immediately after resetting the router).

I think it may be the router, although I have no trouble watching Netflix!!! All suggestions welcome !

fairmaiden
Rising Star

A few hours further on of reading about routers etc. I am still logged in to this Forum and sporadically getting my emails,

so it seems the Ethernet cable is an improvement.

I have four connections on the Huawei router (two labelled S1), from reading it seems these are 'guest' connections?Huh

Anyone know?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked to see whether there is a firmware update available for your Huawei router ?

What DNS settings are you using ?

What is your internet interface MTU set to ?

Are you trying to access Plusnet servers through a Plusnet phone line or via the Vodafone SIM card ?

fairmaiden
Rising Star

1. Firmware is up-to-date (checked via Huawei device webpage)

2. DNS settings are hidden.

3. MTU, can't see but have read that it defaults to 1500

4. Vodafone SIM card

Anonymous
Not applicable

As the DNS settings on the router are hidden, as an experiment can you change the DNS settings on your computer or iPad from automatically using the router's DNS to perhaps manually assigning Google, OpenDNS, or Cloudflare, DNS settings

i.e.  choose from -

then reboot the device just to ensure you are restarting the ethernet or WiFi connection completely, then see whether the problem persists ?

fairmaiden
Rising Star

OK, on the iPad (connecting via the wifi) I have:

Router     192.168.8.1

DNS         192.168.8.1

So I assume this is probably the same on the laptop as well?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, so the address your router is 192.168.8.1, and your iPad DNS is set (the same) to use whatever the router gives it.

What I'm saying is, in the network setting of your iPad, leave the address of the router as it is (probably on 'auto' or assigned by DHCP), but manually change just the iPad DNS numbers to any of values listed in my previous post.

My suggestion means that rather than your iPad getting DNS request results from your router (from an unknown upstream DNS setting that Vodafone might be filtering or have misconfigured), instead your iPad will bypass whatever the router tells it by directly asking a known reliable and unfiltered DNS on the internet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have an iPad or any Apple device to advise how to change DNS, but I just found this video which might help ?

How to Change DNS Used by Your iPhone 

fairmaiden
Rising Star

So if I want to do this on the laptop - do I set the Internet Protocol IPv4 properties to the specific DNS address

on my wireless card properties? The iPad seems to hold up better than the laptop!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.

It is probably worth taking a screenshot of the laptop network settings, just in case you want to reverse the changes later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When setting the DNS numbers,  enter at least two sets of DNS values (i.e. any two from the three I listed)

fairmaiden
Rising Star

So - reconnected using my wifi instead of the Ethernet.... an hour in and everything is still OK....

never fails when you want it to !

Will try the DNS changes when it fails - hopefully this may take some time!

The only change since the last time I used the wifi is that I have altered it to NOT connect automatically.

fairmaiden
Rising Star

Well, 3 hours and a constant connection! Not sure if this is relevant but I have the choice of 2.4GHz and 5GHz and I am

currently connected (as I can now choose from 4 options) to 2.4GHz. I suspect it may have automatically connected to

the 5GHz originally.