Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP this year?

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: FTTP this year?

Yes - I suspect it is even less than 25% as BTOR talk about premises passed, not just homes.

But if you look at this thread: Full-Fibre-FTTP-delayed-again VoIP support  it highlights the lack of VoIP support in the PN offerings.

It's hard to work out the impact of not offering these things, and it may not matter to a lot of basic customers - but it gives a poor impression of PN. When you compare ISPs PN is looking a bit old and tired. 

We will have to wait and see the PN speed offerings, the prices and if anything else changes... if they can offer 80/20 over FTTP at a similar cost to FTTC that would be great for me.  I don't need or want to pay for Ultrafast speeds, nor do I currently care about VoIP. 

Our FTTC is poor ( 15/0.6 - a long line from the cabinet) and as soon as FTTP is available (hopefully in the next month)  I'll be off to the best looking superfast FTTP ISP that offers a fair deal. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If the problem is their back office systems then PlusNet has missed a trick in not saying so. It might have led to less negative comment on whether or not PN will be doing FTTP.

It appears clear that FTTP is coming soon given several staff members are now saying so.

As to speculation on what they'll offer is a waste of time. We'll find out in due course. Mind you, if I recall correctly, I did speculate a good while back that PN might simply do basic FTTP ie 40/10 and 80/20 and leave faster speeds to others.

Brian

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@DaveCW wrote:

I think time is very nearly up for PN, if they miss the rumoured launch of late May early June for FTTP ! Now people are returning to the office to work more regularly and are less reliant on Home BB for work. Those of us who have held back going to BT for this product in case we are left with no connection during the switch over preventing us from working are much more likely to jump ship to BT.

It's almost like PN is being lined up by BT as a legacy budget service that will eventually shrivel up and die in a year or 2!

ISPs such as plusnet have a few issues at the moment with the lack of FTTP products :

People wanting to upgrade to FTTP for the better speeds/reliability etc - most of these will have already jumped to another provider such as Talk talk /Sky or even BT

People who want to join plusnet but cant as plusnets service area is being shrunk by openreach.

I am in a Copper stop sell area - if i wanted to re-join plusnet i am unable to as plusnet are no longer available in my area - if i want to switch ISP  then its FTTP or nothing

As for Plusnet themselves

I left plusnet after 18 years as for the first time their retention's team failed to come up with anything  that was remotely competitive and showed no signs of enthusiasm or any effort to keep me as a customer.  Previous renewals were always upbeat and ended up offering a competitively priced deal - the last renewal attempt was a completely different experience - they even said that plusnet was a premium ISP and waffled on about the UK call centre as being part of that premium offering  .

so looking to save some money I moved off to Now broadband with no issues - the now Router is rubbish, but its sat in its box with my own router in use and solidly connected to Now broadband  instead .

As for products if PN offered a tiered low price bare bones FTTP product with similar speeds to ADSL2 and VDSL (FTTP)  (20/40/80) at a low price with an option to boost ( or add a plus) for a month or move up or down the speeds and prices as needed with an additional VOIP service as well

bmc
Hero

@LeJimster @Ian06 @DaveCW @cpc6128 @Ciaranmck 

If FTTP is available to you and you want it give PlusNet a phone. Though you wouldn't know it from the website they've done a soft launch today.

The Fibre to the Premises Forum has been renamed Full Fibre - look at the thread labelled PlusNet Full Fibre.

Brian

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Customer Services dropped me a Voice Mail yesterday morning. Called them back. Seems PN are offering a range of products and none of them include Landline. If you go for P/N Full fibre you will lose your phone. Decision made will be talking to BT today about switching.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Unless you set up a new PN FTTP account and have that installed alongside your existing one and then transfer your number to a VoIP provider, such as sipgate.
The extra spend on a couple of days of dual service will be far cheaper than the extra £5 a month for BT digital voice and then when you want to move provider again you could struggle again with the number port.
Move it once to a standalone VoIP provider and you can have it without worry about who your ISP is Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero

@dvorak 

I'm not certain about this but I believe PlusNet aren't currently taking new customers on FTTP - therefore you can't create a new account for FTTP while porting your old account to a VOIP provider.

dvorak

@bmc - if an existing customer was to ring up I don't see why it's not possible to create an account for FTTP.

Just because it's not open to general public, possibly because the website isn't ready, doesn't mean it can't be done Smiley 

Customer / Moderator
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

We can't currently create new FTTP accounts whether that's via the website or over the phone. 

It'll be coming soon, but FTTP at the moment is purely for existing accounts.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak

I shall crawl back under my rock then Smiley
Thanks for the clarification.
Customer / Moderator
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@dvorak wrote:
Unless you set up a new PN FTTP account and have that installed alongside your existing one and then transfer your number to a VoIP provider, such as sipgate.
The extra spend on a couple of days of dual service will be far cheaper than the extra £5 a month for BT digital voice and then when you want to move provider again you could struggle again with the number port.
Move it once to a standalone VoIP provider and you can have it without worry about who your ISP is Smiley

@dvorak   Just looked up sipgate - https://www.sipgate.co.uk/ . 

Whilst not always confident with technical stuff (as you know) and having understood what was said in the replies about PN not offering 'new' (full-fibre?) FTTP accounts, the sipgate-basic https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/ page says:

"A free local phone number for your home and on the go
The perfect landline replacement: With sipgate basic you get a free local phone number from your area code. You can also bring your current phone number with you."

... so (logically) would it be possible to set up a (new) sipgate basic account (to hold the phone number the customer is already using) whilst dually also retaining the phone account with PN, during the transition period until PN FTTP kicks in and wipes the PN broadband+phone settings.

Not sure how well I've expressed that, but I hope the meaning is clear, ie would it be viable for PN customers switching to PN FTTP to run a sipgate-basic account in tandem, prior to the changeover.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
bmc
Hero

@Penny 

At present the answer is no.

Switching to a VOIP service for your current landline will cease you PlusNet account. PN are current not accepting new customers on FTTP (soon apparently but not now).

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Penny  Your method will not work at the present time. Plusnet can not yet create a new FTTP account, only upgrade an existing account to FTTP which removes the phone number so until a new standalone FTTP account can be provided, there is no way to keep it.

I have Sipgate account with a local number and Gigaset VOIP phones, it works well and costs nothing if you don't make calls. I use my mobile with wi-fi calling for that.

The next problem is if you port your Plusnet number to Sipgate it will cease your Plusnet phone and broadband, you can't have the same number on VOIP and a land line at the same time. You need to have the FTTP service running before porting the landline number or you will have no broadband for a while.

I can't get FTTP yet but I when I can I will not be bothered about losing the landline number.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

if you port your Plusnet number to Sipgate it will cease your Plusnet phone and broadband, you can't have the same number on VOIP and a land line at the same time. You need to have the FTTP service running before porting the landline number or you will have no broadband for a while.

Thank you for clarifying - appreciated Smiley

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.