Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP this year?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: FTTP this year?

@Ian06 

If it is back office systems that are preventing PlusNet from offering FTTP then there's nothing they can do until they get the software sorted. Given PlusNet's history with updating office systems you can't blame them for trying to make absolutely sure things are working before any FTTP launch.

Brian

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@bmc wrote:

If it is back office systems that are preventing PlusNet from offering FTTP then there's nothing they can do until they get the software sorted. Given PlusNet's history with updating office systems you can't blame them for trying to make absolutely sure things are working before any FTTP launch.

Brian

@bmc @SammyM 

Sure - I can imagine the chaos if the back office systems can't manage their users accounts properly and can see how many years ago it would seem logical that every account must have a phone number.  But even if it's a really big/difficult job to update the back office - giving dates and failing to meet the expectations that have been set is a PR disaster.

I can understand why people (who may be in the know) can't give dates especially if there are still risks to the dates, it's just so disappointing that Plusnet seem to be a long way behind the game on FTTP (especially after the early trial.)  I suppose they have the same problem with SoGEA as well, but they will have to be able deal with customers who don't have a phone number.

I am just so fed up with my 15/0.6Mbit FTTC connection, and I am just as irritated that OR are taking so long to make FTTP available despite signing up to a CFP almost a year ago. I had hoped to be able to order FTTP months ago.

It is what it is I suppose and I am sure Plusnet (and all the tech staff) are as keen to support FTTP as we are to be able to order it...      Thanks

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I live in a Devon village. Having just been given an underground connection for FTTP, I am now being offered 200 Mbps symmetrical broadband for £17 per month (18 month contract, price guaranteed). How is Plusnet going to compete with that?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

They’re not, if you can get symmetrical up / down then it’s not an open reach FTTP solution and PN wouldn’t be able to provide a connection over that.
You would need to go with whichever ISP provides a service on that connection
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero

@ChrisL 

I'm guessing £17 a month is a new customer price and at the end of the contract you'll go onto their standard rate.

As stated it's not OpenReach if it's a symmetrical connection. Many of the Alternative suppliers do not wholesale their Fibre so you'll be stuck with whoever it is whon installed the network.

Brian

ChrisL
Rising Star

@bmc

For clarity, it's Gigaclear. They are upfront about the price rising by 3.5% plus inflation each October from 2023. I had thought this would be moot if one were out of contract by then, but your point about the ISP owning the infrastructure is a good one. It's more like my sister's old Virgin connection than a wholesale supply.....  Thank you!

ChrisL
Rising Star

@ChrisL 

EDIT -blush- in very small print, the price does rise to £40 per month after 18 months!

bmc
Hero

@ChrisL 

Thanks for the information.

You beat me to it on the standard rate. It appears Gigaclear do offer a wholesale product but currently none of the well known ISP's use it.

It's probable the network has been built using government money. If so, OpenReach won't over build in the short to medium term - if at all.

As such, you have a choice to make. Is you current speed on the OpenReach network (with PlusNet as your ISP) acceptable or do you need more. If the latter then you'll need to move to Gigaclear.

Brian

ChrisL
Rising Star

@bmc 

Thanks for your info!  £40 a month is a deal-breaker for me. I'm getting 15-17 Mbps down over copper, which is fine, though the upload speed is pants.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@bmc @SammyM 

giving dates and failing to meet the expectations that have been set is a PR disaster.

I totally understand this point, and whilst some might prefer that this conclusion would result in more customer communication, it in fact leads to less. You're more likely to find out about the product launches and improvements as they happen, rather than before.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Ian06
Aspiring Pro

@JonoH wrote:

I totally understand this point, and whilst some might prefer that this conclusion would result in more customer communication, it in fact leads to less. You're more likely to find out about the product launches and improvements as they happen, rather than before.

I guess the problem becomes "the boy who cried wolf" - people stop believing what they are told.  It's damaging saying things will happen then they don't (over and over again.)

Now if you look at what PN offers it all looks very weak, ADSL and VDSL only, no SOGEA, no FTTP, no mobile data back up... it starts to look like BT are running PN down and encouraging their customers to move to EE or BT.  Perhaps the liabilities of the back office problems are too expensive to fix, so PN becomes the cheap legacy option until there aren't enough customers left to justify maintaining the legacy technologies (front and back office.)   

dvorak

That seems a very odd view, PN have said FTTP is coming soon - why say that if they're not going to offer it at all?
PN is propositioned as the value brand it is there to compete with the likes to TalkTalk.
If you want the other options, HALO etc. then you just move to another BT brand.
Customer / Moderator
Ian06
Aspiring Pro

@dvorak wrote:
That seems a very odd view, PN have said FTTP is coming soon - why say that if they're not going to offer it at all?

They have been saying it's coming soon for a long time now...  I don't know if or when FTTP will be available on PN, as I tried to say it is like the boy who cried wolf so many times that people stopped believing him. Then the wolf came and no one was prepared.

I expect PN will offer FTTP at some point (soon..?!!)  but I suspect no one will want to wait for PN if they can move because they have stopped believing the "it's coming soon" message.  I suspect people will move to another ISP at the first opportunity, if they want the faster speed and their contract is coming up for renewal.  Entering into a new contract with PN hoping FTTP will come soon would seem to be a bad move if you need the improved connectivity of FTTP.

I agree there will always be a place for a lower cost, lower functionality offering... but my point was that without an FTTP offering at the moment, what PN do have to offer today looks very weak and discouraging.

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I think time is very nearly up for PN, if they miss the rumoured launch of late May early June for FTTP ! Now people are returning to the office to work more regularly and are less reliant on Home BB for work. Those of us who have held back going to BT for this product in case we are left with no connection during the switch over preventing us from working are much more likely to jump ship to BT.

It's almost like PN is being lined up by BT as a legacy budget service that will eventually shrivel up and die in a year or 2!

dvorak

About a quarter of homes in the UK have access to Openreach FTTP, so to say if PN don't release FTTP now they are doomed is a little excessive.
Yes it needs to be released for those that can access it, and the sooner the better and as staff have said it is coming soon.
The forum can make for a little echo chamber of those leaning towards the more technology literate broadband user, (see also the IPv6 debates on here) where because the value provider doesn't provide X now it's doomed.
Take a breath and see what happens by the end of next month, because by anyone's definition it should be soon.
If we're still waiting then and no firmer news, then we might have something to worry about.

Customer / Moderator