cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP again...!

JRIrish
Hooked

FTTP again...!

Has there been any change to Plusnet's stance on FTTP? BTOR are literally outside my door FTTPing the street and BT can give me their lowest FTTP speed for £40 a month. My contract with PN isn't up until next May and I would really....really...prefer to stay with PN but with a couple of Synology NAS's in my cupboard I need an increase on the upload speed I am now getting. BT is x2 upload speed.

I love the PN take on supplying broadband, no problems using my own router and access points and no annoying phone calls about upsells. Yeah BT...fastest wifi? Compared to what may I ask? LOL

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: FTTP again...!

@JRIrish  Welcome to the forum.

Plusnet have yet to announce their plans regarding FTTP yet. It's still 'in the pipeline'.

Currently if you want to transfer to BT or EE FTTP then if you ring the customer options team to arrange it they will not apply the cancellation charge. See  https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Repeated-connection-drop-outs/m-p/1837031#M128594.

Regarding the BT 'best in class WiFi' claims, I think that you will find that this is based on tests against other ISP's freebie hubs, not top of the range third party routers..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Clangers
Dabbler

I hoped to stay with Plusnet as well for fttp as I've been pleased with their offering up until now however my contract is up next month so I'll probably be moving to BT Full Fibre when their Black Friday broadband sale begins on the 19th. You can get BT Full Fibre 100 for £30 just now via 'chat' and Plusnet will waive any exit fees so it might be a good time to move. Hopefully they may even drop to £27 for the BF sale so it works out less than what I currently pay Plusnet for fttc. Plusnet will eventually offer fttp, unfortunately not soon enough for me. 

JRIrish
Hooked

Thanks for that. I will wait and see as BT don't have my address up on their checker page yet but it's good to know that if I do decide to jump ship before May that I can do it without penalty.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

News here on plusnets plans to launch FTTP by the Summer of 2021:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/04/broadband-isp-plusnet-uk-predicted-to-launch-fttp-this...

and

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2021/02/look-inside-Uswitch-Broadband-Provider-of-the-Year-Pl...

From the above linked article

(Sam) Calvert (Marketing Director of Plusnet) said, “2021 is going to be a big year for Plusnet - we are continuing to simplify our product range so we can invest in developments to improve our reliability - such as a new wireless router, and the launch of full fibre (FTTP). We’re also continuing to simplify our website and apps so customers can make the most of these digital channels.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@pint wrote:

(Sam) Calvert (Marketing Director of Plusnet) said, “2021 is going to be a big year for Plusnet - we are continuing to simplify our product range so we can invest in developments to improve our reliability - such as a new wireless router, and the launch of full fibre (FTTP). We’re also continuing to simplify our website and apps so customers can make the most of these digital channels.

So they are dumbing down and cutting corners. Thought so!

John
JRIrish
Hooked

I have read both of those links before and have to say I wasn't impressed. It is now halfway through Nov 2021 and absolutely nothing from Plusnet regarding FTTP. Hence me coming on here to ask about it in case I had missed something.

Clangers
Dabbler

Word from the inside apparently is that Plusnet will launch Full Fibre (fttp) in Jan 2022, so just a couple of months if you can wait that long. However given that the summer, then autumn launch never happened, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

l3v1ck

I know what you mean.
I'm stuck on an exchange only line with Plusnet ADSL (no FTTC available). FTTP has been available on my street for six months now. There's only so long I'm prepared to wait before I move provider. It would be a shame as I've been with Plusnet since the late 90's. It would also cause me hassle as Plusnet host my domain/email. That would have to be moved.
JRIrish
Hooked

Yep, I'm far happier with the no frills, no upsell service I get from Plusnet than I ever was with BT. I use all my own equipment, pfSense router/firewall with the old BT modem (of which I have three!) and am very happy with how it all works.

So I have decided to give Plusnet a little more time and hopefully they will start announcing FTTP soon. Don't really understand how they can't start rolling it out to be honest.

Clangers
Dabbler

I decided to stick with Plusnet as well. Hopefully it will only be a few weeks now until they roll out fttp and no need to switch supplier for the upgrade, as long as it is competitively priced, which you would expect from Plusnet. I suspect they will be aiming for around £25-£30/month for 100MB fttp, which although not the cheapest, will allow a good chunk of their own customer base to make the switch.  

notcloud
Grafter