Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FF Upgrade / Few Questions

Rockyuk
Dabbler

FF Upgrade / Few Questions

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a static ip with my current fibre connection and want to upgrade to full fibre. I am assuming keeping my static ip will not be an issue during an upgrade, can anyone confirm this, please?

I also need to port a Plusnet telephone number to a VOIP provider, can anyone recommend any good ones, please?

Last but not least any recommended handsets for wireless telephones, please?

Thanks

Rockyuk

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: FF Upgrade / Few Questions

@Rockyuk 

There shouldn't be a problem with your Static IP but I would keep an eye on it just in case.

A&A seem to have a good reputation, good deals and good FAQ pages. Your current phone may work but it's something you would need to check. https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

While I believe you can set up your A&A account in advance do not port your number until the FF install is complete and working. Note that with A&A (and perhaps other providers) the number port will fail due to the automated system not working with "ceased" numbers. You would need to get A&A Support to arrange a manual port.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@Rockyuk 

I currently have a static ip with my current fibre connection and want to upgrade to full fibre. I am assuming keeping my static ip will not be an issue during an upgrade, can anyone confirm this, please?

Should be no problem retaining static IP over an account upgrade. I've been through a number of account upgrades and static IP has awlays been retained.

I also need to port a Plusnet telephone number to a VOIP provider, can anyone recommend any good ones, please?

A & A https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Note that you must not port the number until Full fibre is installed. Porting before will cease the landline and associated broadband. Upgrading to FF will cease the landline and you then have 30 days to port the number under the Ofcom 'right to port' regs. Note that some voip providers reject the port under these situations because the number isn't active, A & A seem to handle it , especially if they know in advance.

Last but not least any recommended handsets for wireless telephones, please?

Not quite sure what you are asking here ?, I wouldn't use wifi for voip. Use a wired base unit like the Gigaset N300 and DECT handsets.

edit: @bmc types faster

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I set up a PlusNet fibre account with a new username, when it was up and running I ported the number killing the FTTC account having agreed with Plusnet that I would not be  charged for an early termination because I was staying with PlusNet.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@nitram that process works well UNLESS you have legacy facilities e.g email , domain hosting or referrals on the old account , which you wish to retain!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rflitcroft
Dabbler

I am in the same boat as you - I have started a thread here https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/FTTP-amp-VOIP/td-p/1952392  which you may find useful.

rflitcroft
Dabbler

I also had a static IP, which I lost during the upgrade. This is the first time this has happened during multiple upgrades. (I have been with Plusnet since it was Force9 back in the nineties!)

If you have existing handsets which work, you can use an adapter such as this for about £40: (https://www.grandstream.com/products/gateways-and-atas/analog-telephone-adaptors/product/ht801) Rather fiddly to set up though, and if I was starting afresh, I would get a VOIP DECT base station to plug into my LAN (but I have an old dial phone from the 1950's which I just like to keep ringing...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rflitcroft wrote:

.. I have an old dial phone from the 1950's which I just like to keep ringing...

For anyone else wanting to use their old rotary dial phone on VoiP, there are several YouTube tutorials, e.g. -

How to use rotary phones with VoIP 

How I Connected A Rotary Phone To VoIP Phone System