Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek VPN using L2TP Protocol not working

Melhuish14
Hooked

Draytek VPN using L2TP Protocol not working

Hello,

I need to connect to my work VPN through the L2TP protocol which is provided by Draytek, when i try to connect it refuses the connection and from our IT manager he can see that the following:

"So the logs when you connect (or try to) show that NAT traversal fails one way which means something at your end is blocking the message being received back to the router"

I can connect using my a hotspot on my mobile and i have also tried a family members Virgin Media and that connects also, I need this to work ASAP please can someone get back to me.

Regards

12 REPLIES 12
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Draytek VPN using L2TP Protocol not working

Hello @Melhuish14 Welcome to the Forum.

In section 5 check the TCP/IP Network Settings and ensure you're not using the same network.

Section 5

Melhuish14
Hooked

Hi @Mook ,

Sorry section 5 where? in my router settings?

Also what do you mean by make sure you are not using the same network?

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Yes @Melhuish14, in your router where you've configured your VPN.

If you look at the image above you'll see that the Remote and Local Network have different addresses. Make sure the values used here match your own network and the remote network at your work.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Mook 

ICBW so apologies if I am, but I suspect the DrayTek router mentioned is at the OPs work, and the OP may not be using a DrayTek router himself.

Just saying in case his routers setup options are different to the DrayTek 'section 5' you've shown.  

Smiley

Melhuish14
Hooked

Thank you @Mook , sorry i should of been more clear, I'm connect to the VPN using my Work MacBook which obviously goes through my plusnet router. Other people have tried my details and it works for all of them and none of them are with plusnet.

Melhuish14
Hooked

@RobPN @Mook Yes so the Draytek router is in the office and i have a VPN set up on my Mac under network to connect to it via L2TP and i have a plusnet router at home. The plusnet router is refusing the connection, I have tested outside of my home network and it works on my mobile hotspot and also Virgin Media and 2 colleagues have tried and it also works for them

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Ah! It would appear that @RobPN was right @Melhuish14 you're not using a Draytek like I am, so I can't help any further I'm afraid as regards the setting on the router. I assume you're using the Smart Client on your iMac?

https://www.draytek.com/products/smart-vpn-client/

Melhuish14
Hooked

Hi @Mook , Yes i have tried the smart client and also set it up manually in my network settings. I have also had a draytek support do remote control to see if they can get it to work but they have also come back in the conclusion that it is an ISP issue

Thank you for your help

Mook
Seasoned Champion

What setting do you have here?

https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband/firewall (Login required)

Mine is off.

Melhuish14
Hooked

It was set to High but i have now set it to off and also restarted the router but still i can't connect to the VPN @Mook 

Mook
Seasoned Champion

That's a tad annoying @Melhuish14 but I don't use the Plusnet provided router so I can't really help, but there are others here,  way more knowledgable then me, that should be able to help. 

Melhuish14
Hooked

Thank you @Mook i appreciate you trying to help, hopefully someone will be able to