Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Name Renewal - Freenetname

FIXED
Busychip
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Domain Name Renewal - Freenetname

I have been a very satisfied customer of Plusnet for years, and have recommended them to various friends and neighbours on many, many occasions. This is not least because of the generally excellent customer service I have received.

However, there is one slight fly in the ointment, and that is the issue of Domain Name renewal.

Due to a succession of company takeovers, I came to Plusnet via the Freenetname->Brightview->Madasafish->Plusnet route and, as a result, I still have a "Free-For-Life" domain name that I original acquired when I joined Freenetname over 20 years ago. The constant provision of this is another key reason why I have stayed put, as I totally rely on this domain name for email purposes.

Prior to my billing being transferred to Plusnet itself, my domain name was always renewed automatically, with no action required by myself. However, since being "adopted" by Plusnet, I have had to chase this up via Customer Services every time, and the experience has proved painful. I think the problem may be that only relatively small numbers of customers still have this Free-For-Life domain name facility, so many Customer Services staff are possibly unaware of its existence.

I cannot do the renewal myself, as there is no facility on the Plusnet website. This is probably because Nominet list the Registrar as "Plusnet Plc t/a Madasafish Broadband [Tag = MADASAFISH]".

Last time around, I received help in getting the renewal done from one of the Superusers of this forum, who arranged the renewal for me.

My Domain Name is once again due for renewal in just under a fortnight’s time and would very much appreciate some assistance in resolving this same problem.

Anyone out there who can assist me, please? 

11 REPLIES 11
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Domain Name Renewal - Freenetname

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers (including details of the domain name as per last year) with a request the renewal be processed before the expiry date.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Fix

Cheers for the feedback.

Our domain services have been free for everybody since September 2018 so there’s not much distinction anymore between your ‘free’ domain and other domains.

In theory, your domain should be automatically renewed ~14 days before the renewal is due, but as it’s more proactive manual monitoring than system driven, it may be worth allowing a further week for this to happen. 

If there’s no change, let us know and we can intervene by raising a NetOps task to prod the right people. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Busychip
Dabbler

Thanks Penny.

Busychip
Dabbler

Thanks Anoush. I'll keep an eye on the relevant Nominet page to see if it gets renewed.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Looks like your domain has been renewed today Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Busychip
Dabbler

Yes - just checked on Nominet. All good. Brillant!

Many thanks Anoush, and Penny, (and whoever it was at Plusnet who actually did the renewal).

Happy customer, once again.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Awesome, that’s good to see and no problem at all. 

colbrad
Grafter

Hi,

I have received an email today stating my Freenetname/Madasafish domain is due to expire on 04 September 2022. I know this is 3 months away but is there anything I need to do now.
The email says to:

"Your domain "domainname.co.uk" will expire on 04 September 2022. This is a
notification, not a request for payment.
If you would like to renew the registration of your domain/s, give us a
call and let us know you'd like to renew.
If your domain expires fully, you'll lose access to any websites or hosted
content associated with it, and to any email addresses using it."

Cheers
Colin

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @colbrad, I have raised a request for the renewal for you Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
colbrad
Grafter

I can confirm I have received a notification from Plusnet about this just now. Thank you 👍

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

No worries, just get back to me if you have any further queries at all Smiley

Have a good weekend!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team