cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database missing

sofaville

Database missing

I received an e-mail yesterday saying my site had been migrated to the new service. I can see my php files in the file manager (although oddly the control panel says I'm using 0% of my disk space) - however my database files don't appear to have migrated which means the site is effectively broken. I don't have a copy of the database (yes, stupid I know not to have backed-up) - the site is just a hobby so I've not lost critical customer data or anything - but now I'll have to try and recreate it exactly to match my scripts.
Can you track down where my database files are?
I'll be the first to admit I'm not particularly technically-minded  but this does seem to be a horrible confusing mess.
And shouldn't there be some sort of re-direct from the old URL to the new ones?
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Database missing

I wouldn't worry unduly about the missing database, it will still exist on the ccgi MySQL server. However Hostopia will have a copy of the dump and can and will reinstall it.
My database initially existed, but disappeared mid Thursday afternoon for reasons unknown to me. Hostopia reinstalled it and changed my configuration files again so database applications could access it.
I suggest waiting until this post is picked up by Plusnet, no need to take further action yourself including making any changes to your files.
Regarding redirection: assuming your DNS entry has been changed the URL for access to your site will be unchanged, so no need for redirection. If DNS is still to switch, until it does visitors will go to your old site.
The space used shown in the control panel will change to the correct number in a day or so.
David
David
sofaville

Thanks for the response - I'm getting the impression from the other threads that thinks are still a bit unstable. It's all just a bit frustrating - even fairly straightforward tasks like accessing my files using Filezilla seem to be defeating me at the moment (I/m using the new host address and my new username and password and it still won't let me in).
I'm pleased Plusnet decided to keep the web hosting going and take the time to find a solution to keep the software updated - I'd been expecting them to drop the service altogether for a while - it's just a bit frustrating that the execution doesn't seem to have gone smoothly.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Lack of FTP access using FileZilla is probably nothing you've got wrong.* I don't have access either. I'm told Hostopia are working to resolve the problem and it was hoped this would be fixed on Friday. However I still don't have FTP access (using FileZilla or command line FTP). Sad
* Did you set a Master FTP passord up using FTP Manager?
It's possible you might also have trouble with phpMyAdmin (once you have a database to view and manage). phpMyAdmin works OK for me with a MySQL5 database I created, but not with the migrated MySQL 4 one. Login fails.
David
David
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
However I still don't have FTP access

Is that still the case? I couldn't connect with the default user, but can connect with one I created.
Gabe
sofaville

i think everything's sorted now. I've managed to get FTP to work - the new username format suggested in the FAQ didn't work for me but I managed to work out the correct one. My database was there too - and once I had FTP working I could update the files to point at the new database details.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

@Gabe
It's the default user that I can't connect with. Also the user shown in the FTP Manager panel is has two ccgi's  - ccgi.ccgi.username.force9.co.uk - but doesn't appear to exist. I'm expecting Plusnet and Hostopia to configure it properly.
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: sofaville
i think everything's sorted now. I've managed to get FTP to work - the new username format suggested in the FAQ didn't work for me but I managed to work out the correct one. My database was there too - and once I had FTP working I could update the files to point at the new database details.

Apologies for the confusion. Are you still having problems connecting via FTP using cgi.<username>.plus.com as the username? This is the username for the master FTP account and should be working.
David, I'll find out what the latest  is regarding your account this afternoon.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: spraxyt
It's the default user that I can't connect with. Also the user shown in the FTP Manager panel is has two ccgi's  - ccgi.ccgi.username.force9.co.uk - but doesn't appear to exist. I'm expecting Plusnet and Hostopia to configure it properly.

This turned out to be a bug causing incorrect FTP information to be stored in the back end systems. This has now been fixed and my FTP access as the default user now works. Smiley
David
David