Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused after recent rDNS threads

archerry
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Confused after recent rDNS threads

I have used the 'Shields Up' tool on the Gibson Research website for many years to check our modem/router settings.
I didn't realise that i could remove my ISP account name from the results by asking for a rDNS setting change.

I phoned the helpdesk this morning to ask for the change to be told that it is not available for home users, and that I do not have a static IP address.
After checking with their supervisor, it was confirmed that the configuration change is available for static IP addresses, but still stated that I didn't have a static IP address.
But, we have been with Plusnet broadband for many years, and several years ago a static IP address was assigned. Unfortunately I cannot find a record of this, I do not see any reference to dynamic/static address in the Member Centre, and the helpdesk can only see records for the last two years.

From the recent thread,https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Possible-privacy-security-problem-after-changing-to-a-non/td... , @Dan_the_Van comment suggests that I do have a static IP address.

How do I get the account record corrected to show the static IP address, and then change the rDNS config?

Regards,

Alistair

7 REPLIES 7
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Confused after recent rDNS threads

@archerry 

currently GRC shields up displays 80-229-nnn-nnn.plus.com for my machine name, before the rDNS changed was applied some years back it was myusername.free-online.co.uk

if you have a dynamic IP Address you will see depending on the IP Address allocated this is for 46.208.0.1 

1.0.208.46.dyn.plus.net

The members centre should show if you have a static IP address or not

HTH

Dan.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@archerry you definitely have a static IP address, one of the staff should be able to raise an rdns request for you.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
archerry
Aspiring Pro

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for the prompt response.

Shields Up! gives the result: 'Myusername@plus.com'.

So I am reasonably confident that I have a static IP address.

Where should it be shown in the Member Centre?

Just need Plusnet to update my records, and change the rDNS configuration...

@dvorak Thanks.

Regards,

Alistair

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@archerry 

you clearly have a static IP address, logon to the members Centre from the Home page -

Click on Broadband under Help and Setting click on Configure Static IP

Dan

ricmelia
Grafter

Out of curiosity, I've just looked and I don't have a "Configure Static IP" under "Help and settings" on the broadband page. No idea if I still have a static IP (product changes over the years..??) but I definitely used to, I had the rDNS changed years ago.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Also out of curiosity, I just looked at my Member Centre (MC) details.

I have a static IP address but I distinctly remember that the ability to configure it disappeared for me ages ago.

I still have the same IP address since I first joined PN almost 20 years ago.

Once or twice I've had to request that my RDNS be fixed when it's reverted to showing my account name rather than my IP address, but not for several years.

Whilst I was looking in the MC I noticed that in 'Connection Details' my 'Login name' has now changed to 'accountname@plusdsl.net' whereas previously it was 'accountname@plus.net' so I checked in my router.

Yes, the old one was still showing, so I changed it to the 'new' one (i.e. added the 'dsl' bit) and it still allowed me to connect.  I then reverted to the original one and re-connected, so clearly either version works for me.

I'm on FTTP (the trial) in case that's relevant.

archerry
Aspiring Pro

Thank you to the CSC Analysts on the helpdesk.

My rDNS was updated over the weekend, so nslookup now reports "IP_Address.plus.com".
After my initial phone call there was a relevant open question on my account that I could use to discuss and resolve the issue.
It took a little time to complete, but considering how long it had been wrong, it was quick enough and stress free.
First I had to get the records updated to show I had a fixed IP address, then get the rDNS config updated.

@RobPN :

Just checked the order acknowledgement from when I first signed up to Plusnet in 2004, it shows login name as: accountname@plusdsl.net.

Regards,
Alistair