Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

City Full Fibre / Open Reach (BT)

dougle25
Dabbler

City Full Fibre / Open Reach (BT)

Hi All

Does anybody know we can NOT use City Fibre for Full Fibre we can only use Open Reach (BT) .

I renewed my contract with Plusnet in January when City Fibre were in my road putting cables down.

I rung plusnet and ask if their would be a problem upgrading to Full Fibre , they said no not problem.

Now i can connect to City Fibre but have been told we dont use City Fibre.

It does not say any where on the Plusnet web site we cant use City Fibre.

Welcome to CityFibre | CityFibre

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: City Full Fibre / Open Reach (BT)

@dougle25 Plusnet, as a BT brand ONLY use the BT network. City Fibre is nothing to do with BT.

John
JohnofYork
Grafter

If that's the case, then as soon as City Fibre finish doing our road, we'll be off. Fed up with waiting for BT/OpenReach to do anything about our pathetic 10mb line. We're less than 500m from the cabinet as the crow flies, but over 1.5k as the BT cable crawls. And, according the to last OR engineer who came to look at our line, that is how it will be until 2025.

dougle25
Dabbler

When you do move, i moved to Vodaphone and did not have a problem moving . I was very very happy with Vodaphone.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@dougle25 

OpenReach supply their network through BT Wholesale. All ISP's who don't have their own network or have deals with alternative suppliers use BT Wholesale.

You need to have a service level agreement (of some sort) and invest in back office systems to tie in with BT Wholesale or any other network provider.

For obvious reasons PN only use BT Wholesale. Very few ISP use more than one provider. Two who use both BT and CityFibre are Zen and Andrews and Arnold. Note that CityFibre wholesale only so you have a limited choice of ISP.

Brian

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@JohnofYork wrote:

If that's the case, then as soon as City Fibre finish doing our road, we'll be off. 

Unfortunately as the OC renewed in January, they will be locked into a contract, and Plusnet will charge early termination charges if you cancel before the end of the contract period.

If FTTP from and Altnet is coming, it is probably better to pay the out-of-contract prices fro a few months rather than recontract for a lower price.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JohnofYork
Grafter

As I foolishly assumed that any fibre would be used - as it's right outside our door - I took out a new contract earlier this year.

Have checked with Plusnet and , sure enough, they only use OR cabling and are reliant on them to make it available. Terminating our current contract will cost us £144.34.

Having been a customer since the days of Force 9, we don't really want to move, but we also don't want another 2 years of rubbish connection speeds (even though they're reliable and within the 'guaranteed' limits). I know that the termination fee is legal, but that doesn't make it reasonable or fair.

hey ho.

ryhoper1
Hooked

😫 im in the same situation,  I recently renewed my contract and was told once fibre was installed in my area I would be able to get it.

There was no mention that CF wouldnt be available on plusnet.

Feel quite disapointed and like I was mis-sold my new contract.  

Paying more than most of my friends around the country for a inferior product im now stuck with for another 2 years even though fibre will finally soon be available in my area.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@ryhoper1   hardly miss sold, did you ask at the time if you could use City Fibre?

Guess not. 

City Fibre, like Virgin Media are a competitor of the BT Group so are not going to use their infrastructure.

As for costs, I am sure you got a competitive price for the service you have at the time - the market  changes though, so it may well be different come renewal time.

ryhoper1
Hooked

If I said at the time im hesitant to sign upto a new contract because cityfibre are currently installing in my street and im told not to worry once fibre is available you can be upgraded, and not oh no you cant use plusnet on city fibre I think I can feel like my contract was mis sold.

and as for competative price its still more expensive than anyone I know for a way slower speed,   im paying more than most people on fibre for a far  inferior barely 20mb connection because its the best thats available which I am now going to be stuck with for another 2 years with no sign of plusnet actually upgrading my area.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@ryhoper1 wrote:

going to be stuck with for another 2 years with no sign of plusnet actually upgrading my area.

It is not PLUSNET who upgrade your area, but BT/OpenReach.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

We've Cityfibre running along our road, originally Vodafone exclusive but now using over a dozen ISPs, most of which I've never heard of.  BT installation forecast is 2026..........

JohnofYork
Grafter

The City Fibre fairies have been up and down our street, in May, doing what they do. Currently, the City Fibre web-site says it thinks we live on a 'private road' and will need permission to connect to their network when it is available.

doesn't inspire confidence. but still going to happen before BT/OpenReach do anything.