Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see web page

Penbwlch
Dabbler

Cannot see web page

Hi,
I am new to web page authoring and have tried uploading a very basic page to my website (CGI activated). My web authoring program (Nvu) says the upload was successful. Using FileZilla I can see the file in what seems to me as the correct place. However, when I try to look at it with my browser, I am told that no page has been uploaded to the site.
Where do I start checking, please?
5 REPLIES 5
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Cannot see web page

Are you trying to uplod to the CGI Server or to the home pages Server ?
[Edit]
Woops I forgot to say thay are 2 different platforms
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you uploaded to ftp.plus.net (the homepages servers) you must put your documents in to the htdocs folder and your website will be found at www.username.plus.net
If you uploaded to cshell.plus.net your website will be found at http://ccgi.username.plus.net
You only need to use ccgi if you are using dynamic pages (e.g. PHP), a website just using static html pages should go on homepages.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Penbwlch
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. I am using cgi but, this morning, it seems to be working. I must have been getting impatient and didn't wait long enough for cgi to become fully active. Sorry.
I now just have to sort out a logo I have tried to insert, all I get is the image placeholder and title but no picture. I presume it is because I used bmp  and is too large. I will convert it to jpg and try again.
Howard
Penbwlch
Dabbler

Ok, I've changed the picture from bmp to jpg and uploaded it. However, my index is still showing the time of the last upload (yesterday evening).
Can someone please advise me as to how long such changes take to have effect?
I can see the new files using FileZilla but my browser still shows the old page (yes I have tried clearing history etc).
Thanks
Howard
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Forcing a page reload using Ctrl+F5 is often needed to get changed content to display in place of old images.
David