cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT’s Regional Digital Voice Rollout Plan

Surfer
Grafter

BT’s Regional Digital Voice Rollout Plan

Our area is due to for the change over in Spring however we have a big concern.  If we have a power cut we will not be able to make or receive phone calls in case of a medical emergency.  We both have issues.  Mobile signal in our area is almost non existent. 

Secondly we are in contract with Plusnet for broadband and a landline until July 2024.  If they switch over to this new VOIP system before then, we will no longer have a landline for which we will be paying.  If this happens, surely the supplier would have broken their contractual obligations regarding supplying a landline and a new contract needs to be agreed?
14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: BT’s Regional Digital Voice Rollout Plan

@Surfer This changeover does not affect you, as a PN customer - it only applies to those on BT Broadband.

John
Surfer
Grafter

I thought that the VOIP changeover applied to all households regardless of broadband supplier as it is being done by Openreach on behalf of BT?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

as it is being done by Openreach on behalf of BT?

No it isnt! Openreach are retiring the PSTN network but not until Dec 2025.

The voip rollout is being done by  BT Retail for THEIR customers, nothing to do with Openreach!

NB it doesnt help that in the advertising blurb, there's a picture of an Openreach van🙄

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

No. Different Communication Providers (CPs) have different ways of dealing with the 2025 closure of the PSTN network. In BT's case, they are switching their customers to their own proprietary version of VoIP, which only works when you are a BT Broadband customer, some already have an optional service you can take  if you wish, and some, like PN, will expect you to make your own arrangements.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Surfer 

The only known plan for PlusNet to migrate at this time is they no longer offer a phone service to new customers or those who upgrade. This will have the effect of reducing the numbers involved when the change does come. You should be able to renew your current contract with a phone if you speak to PN by phone (ironically!!!).

At some point before the end of 2025 you will have to move to VOIP and, as you say, it doesn't work during power cuts. You can get backup power units which potentially will last longer than the power in the FTTC cabinet.

Have you registered with PN for additional support? Don't know what the criteria is but if you need a phone and there is no mobile coverage this might be enough.

Don't suppose FTTP is available?

Brian

Surfer
Grafter

I appreciate that we need to move with technology, but it seems that we have no choice making it a bit unfair for us to have to purchase a type of UPS in case of an emergency.  We are both pensioners with various disabilities and on more than one occasion in the past we have had to make emergency calls for ambulance etc.

I have no idea what is FTTP?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have no idea what is FTTP?

Fibre to the Premises, often referred to as Full Fibre. Openreach install a fibre connection all the way to the house. The copper line is then redundant.

I appreciate that we need to move with technology, but it seems that we have no choice making it a bit unfair for us to have to purchase a type of UPS in case of an emergency.  

If an ISP converts you to Digital voice and you are in the vulnerable category, then they should provide battery backup at no cost.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW  - but the OP is with PN, so they won't?

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Surfer 

From what you say you should register with PN as vunerable. It'll be in the Help pages somewhere (or some kind sole will find the link). OFCOM mandates that vunerable people are taken into account when moving to VOIP.

I asked about FTTP as it is reported to be better than FTTC during any power cut as the fibre goes back to a Main Exchange that will almost certainly have better power backups. You can check by looking at the following. Enter your phone number and see if the results show WBC FTTP in the left hand column.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc - the link you requested: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/support-for-customers-with-disabilities/ , but note as PN do not supply a VoIP service, that OFCOM mandate may not wholly apply.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bmc wrote:

Have you registered with PN for additional support? Don't know what the criteria is but if you need a phone and there is no mobile coverage this might be enough.

This article lists the categories that BT allow for regarding additional support, I'd imagine notifying Plusnet of these additional needs would be a worthwhile thing to do.

ISP BT Publish UK Regional Rollout Schedule for Digital Voice 

Here is Plusnet's accessibility/vulnerabilities/disabilities support page and application forms

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but the OP is with PN, so they won't?

I'd considered that had already been made clear.

jab1
Legend

OK, I apologise. 😀

John