cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outgoing Email rejected due to spam or virus

ghstone

outgoing Email rejected due to spam or virus

Hi,

I am trying to forward an email which i received 4 people who I exchange emails with regularly.

I received the mail, so there's nothing wrong with it, but when I forward it, it gets blocked and I get a message with this line in it  for each recipient.

552 Sat1mf5kO8PBwSat2mYZvF message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

How can I unblock this and where can I change the spam/virus filter settings ?

Regards,

Graham

8 REPLIES 8
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: outgoing Email rejected due to spam or virus

Hi @ghstone, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having issues when you're trying to forwards an email recently.

If you're not already I'd advise first of all logging into the Plusnet webmail and seeing if you're able to forwards the email through there. This can be tried at https://webmail.plus.net/

The spam settings for email can be adjusted via the manage my mail section of the member center here.

Please note however, there are some settings that can't be adjusted your side and it could very well email has triggered these spam settings.
A common cause we see of this spam filter going into effect is due to either the IP address the email is being sent from as being flagged as spam or a URL being included in the email which is flagged. I'd perhaps then if the webmail or spam settings don't help try sending the email via another connection if possible (whilst using mobile data maybe) as this will help rule out the IP being flagged as the caused.
The other thing would be to remove/break up and URLs included in the email in case this is behind the block.

Let us know how it goes and we look forwards to hearing from you further.

ghstone

Hi Ben,

the original mail doesn't show up in Webmail, it would have been received in the Postmaster/catchall account - when I register for websites I don't give a real email address, I make one up and then I can filter incoming mails based on the address and sender, if i start getting spam I can auto delete all mails and they don't have a valid email address to hit, or to send fake mails via.

So, I received a mail sent to myname-xxx@mydomain.plus.com, that arrives in my Postmaster account in Outlook. its been checked for virus and spam and been allowed in by Plusnet servers and my AntiVirus checker.

I now forward that email to friends, all of whom I send mail to regularly, and change the senders address to myname@mydomain.plus.com - a valid email address which i use every day.

Then I get the message back from 'System Administrator'  saying it is blocked due to spam or virus.

The email came from Silverstone Circuit (noreply@silverstone.co.uk)

it doesnt matter whether I forward it to one or many people it won't go.

Regards,

Graham 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @ghstone

Can you private message me a full copy of the headers and bounceback so we can take a closer look?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The email came from Silverstone Circuit (noreply@silverstone.co.uk)

My guess (and its only a guess) is that the original email, being from a noreply bulk email, may have had quite a high likely spam percentage. Adding a forward of that would possibly increase the spam score and maybe tip it over the edge.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ghstone

I just messaged you, I dont have the original mail I received any more, but I do have the mail I forwarded in my sent folder, and the bounceback in my inbox. ..

Neither has any headers at all ! How ?Huh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the private message @ghstone 

I've messaged you back but to echo here, I think we'll need the headers as the bounce-back doesn't tell us much apart from the email bounced back due to suspected spam.

If I were to hazard a guess I'd agree with what @MisterW had said. If you have this issue again, keep the original email and send us the headers of that. We'll then raise this to NetOps to take a closer look for you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@ghstone wrote:

I just messaged you, I dont have the original mail I received any more, but I do have the mail I forwarded in my sent folder, and the bounceback in my inbox. ..

Neither has any headers at all ! How ?Huh

Which email client do you use? To see the headers, you usually have to 'expand' the address area of the message.

John
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Try sending your message to check-auth-mailbox=domain@verifier.port25.com (replacing the words mailbox and domain with yours e.g.  if your email address is ghstone (at) plus.net it'd be check-auth-ghstone=plus.net@verifier.port25.com) and the receiver will pass it through SpamAssassin and send you an email with the matching rules which may give you some idea as to why it was flagged as spam.