Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mail.plus.net certificate not trusted

FIXED
paul1974

mail.plus.net certificate not trusted

Hi,

This afternoon Apple Mail started saying that the Plusnet certificate was bad. Looks like it may have been renewed today. 

There hasn't been any updates to my MacBook this afternoon. 

Is anyone else having this problem? 

Thanks. 

23 REPLIES 23
mavison
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: mail.plus.net certificate not trusted

Yes! See my post a few seconds after yours, in the thread 'tls certificate error'

mhi1
Grafter

I'm getting something very similar. Copying the text from my desktop email client's error dialog:

The SSL certificate of imap.plus.net cannot be verified by the following reason:
  unable to get local issuer certificate

Subject: /businessCategory=Private Organization/jurisdictionC=GB/serialNumber=03279013/C=GB/L=Sheffield/O=Plusnet plc/CN=mail.plus.net
Issuer: /C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=GeoTrust EV RSA CA 2018
Issued date: Sep  6 00:00:00 2021 GMT
Expire date: Sep  7 23:59:59 2022 GMT

SHA1 fingerprint: 53:08:98:9C:B3:BB:A7:B2:BD:A5:9B:B9:EE:0A:34:CC:C6:C3:C8:80
MD5 fingerprint: 4B:7D:6B:FA:82:BF:27:9A:05:28:09:C1:F8:0E:B2:C8

The equivalent message on my Android email client says, "Trust anchor for certification path not found."

PlusNet, please tweak your certificate.

mhi1
Grafter

C'mon, PlusNet! This fault has gone away, but it would be helpful to have a brief message to tell us either

• PlusNet technical staff didn't do anything, it just fixed itself, or
  • PlusNet have taken action, understand what went wrong, and have corrected the cause so that it shouldn't happen again.

Any one of the four topics describing IMAP and POP problems yesterday and this morning would do. No need to reply more than the once.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hello, I'm really sorry for the issues you've had with your emails on Thursday and Friday.

I can confirm that we had taken steps to fix it and we do understand what went wrong, so it shouldn't happen again.

Let us know as always if you have further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
r4k9g

Hello, you say there have been steps taken to fix this issue, but I have not been able to get emails on my Plusnet account since last Thursday, and I'm still getting mail delivery failures when I've tried sending test emails from another account to my Plusnet email address.  I use Thunderbird and on Thursday and Friday when I switched the computer on and loaded Thunderbird it reported 'mail.plus.net:995' certificate is not trusted...  When I clicked on 'Get Certificate' it reported 'This site attempts to identify itself with invalid information', 'No Information Available' and 'Unable to obtain identification status for this site'.  I have not changed any of my setup for months or even years so there has been no change here.  Everything was fine up until Thursday.  Any ideas what has happened?  Thanks.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@r4k9g Welcome to the forums. When did you last try to send or receive an email?  It appears the others who reported this error are now able to work normally.

John
r4k9g

Thanks for your reply John.  I sent a test email at 09:45 this morning and again at 18:39 just before my posting here on the forum, and both were returned almost immediately.  So I'm not able to get an email from my gmail account (using gmail smptp) to my Plusnet email inbox, yet here is the odd thing, the Plusnet Community Mailer email arrived in my Plusnet inbox fine at 18:43!  So now I'm somewhat puzzled by what is happening.  I'm about to try sending from another different account to see what happens with that one.  Roy  

jab1
Legend

What was in the failure notice, as in what reason did give for non-delivery?

John
r4k9g

OK problem solved John - it was an auto-fill of the email address error in the 'To' line today.  Instead of using the correct address in my email address book, it was picking up an incorrect email spelling from the 'collected addresses' section and I've no idea where that came from.  It wasn't there before I'm sure.  Anyway I've now deleted it.  Thanks for the help.  Roy

jab1
Legend

Glad it's sorted Roy - these things happen, and they are sometimes a pig to spot.

John
DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When is the certificate error issue going to be sorted. Still getting it.

if I select to use the certificate the error comes back shortly after. If I install the certificate it's the same story.

jab1
Legend

@DaveCW Wierd - everyone else is reporting the issue fixed, and the cert is still valid.

John
jncunliffe
Hooked

I'm sorry to say but I think this certificate error has reappeared.  Adding my PlusNet account to a new, empty, profile in Outlook 365, I enter my email address followed on the next screen by password (all that is required according to the PlusNet help page for Outlook 365).  I'm presented with:

1.png

2.png

The issued to surprised me as I would have thought it would have referred to imap.plus.net and not the POP server.

If elect to continue I get another error this time for the outbound server.

3.png

Clicking on Yes again Outlook tell me...

4.png

But of course it hasn't been.

5.png

Is this a PlusNet issue or am I doing something fundamentally wrong here?

Cheers,

JonC

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jncunliffe,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Had you been affected by this issue previously, or is this the first time you've noticed this? You'd mentioned that this is occurring when you tried setting up the account in a new blank profile - have you got your email account set up on another profile/mail client/device without issues, or is this the first time you've attempted to set the account up this way?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team