Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip address blacklisted

FIXED
gaskelldave
Dabbler

ip address blacklisted

For the past couple of weeks I've been unable to send emails despite using standard email settings and a new Plusnet router. After spending far too much time trying to find out how to get the problem sorted, I've done a few tests and I've managed to occasionally get it to work by using a VPN so that suggests it's an IP address issue.   I've found another thread on here and, as a result of that, used telnet with "telnet relay.plus.net 25" to discover that my ip address has been "blacklisted by local policy".  

How do I get this resolved?

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: ip address blacklisted

@gaskelldave What errors are you seeing when sending fails?

John
gaskelldave
Dabbler

On my laptop, using Outlook, I get the popup that appears when unable to connect to relay.plus.net. On Android tablet on a mail app it just sits in Outbox and just says "Failed". On my Android phone it says "Failed due to permanent error". None very helpful. It was when using telnet I got the blacklisted response.
jab1
Legend

OK. I'll tag @Townman in this - he is the expert. As regards the 'blacklisting', that is normal (I think) but again I'll leave confirmation of that to the expert.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

I think there was a similar case not too long ago which was down to something on the users system sending excessive amounts of emails.  I think in that case they where running a webserver with the option to register an account which sent an email to the address being used, and that was being abused.  Other reasons I could think of is a virus/malware or you purposefully sending a very large number of emails.

It may be possible, if you're not on a static IP, that a previous "owner" of your current IP abused it and it got blacklisted before it was assigned to you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Another thought. Which port are you using to attempt the send - 25 or 587?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Fix

@jab1 

In this context port number will have no bearing.

@pjmarsh 's observations would be the most appropriate given that the user can send emails when connected via VPN.

If the user is not on a static IP, turning off their router for 90 minutes might result in a different IP address being assigned.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman OK -'twas only a thought, and thanks for popping in. 😀

John
gaskelldave
Dabbler

Turned my router off for a couple of hours and, on powering things back up again I've been assigned a different ip address and emails have started flowing properly again.

Many thanks everyone for chipping in to help me get this sorted.   Appreciated.