Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails to btinternet.com being returned

FIXED
BS6600
Grafter

emails to btinternet.com being returned

This week after 10years without trouble all my emails to whoever@btinternet.com were retruned as suspected spam.

Their reply includes this

...... 15 or so addressees then
\342\200\223 Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM please read www.bt.com/postmaster jackxxxxxxx@btinternet.com SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 554 Message rejected on 2019/03/05 12:07:46 GMT, policy (3.2.1.1) \342\200\223 Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM please read www.bt.com/postmaster ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------ Return-path: <rotary@bscomputers.co.uk> Received: from [82.71.7.225] (helo=[192.168.0.5]) by smarthost03d.mail.zen.net.uk with esmtpsa (TLS1.2:DHE_RSA_AES_128_CBC_SHA1:128) (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from <rotary@bscomputers.co.uk>) id 1h18rE-0003bt-IZ; Tue, 05 Mar 2019 12:07:42 +0000 From: Rotary Club of Dunfermline <rotary@bscomputers.co.uk> Subject: Weekly Meeting - 7th March - 17:45 for 18:00 To: Rotary Club of Dunfermline <rotary@bscomputers.co.uk> Message-ID: <4d815c4c-e805-ae4e-558d-286b395ea459@bscomputers.co.uk> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 12:06:41 +0000 User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Th

The info in their suggested help page is obscure but refers to DMARC

Do I need to get some kind of certfication for my domain? Does Force9 need to get soemthing?

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) redacted email link as it’s a public forum
15 REPLIES 15
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: emails to btinternet.com being returned

Hi @BS6600, is it possible you can PM me:

• The full error string
  • The non-deliverable report (NDR)
  • Email Headers
  • and the full body of the email, including any links, if you would be happy to provide this too?

Kind regards - Matt L

BS6600
Grafter

Matt,

Thanks. I can forward the email I sent out and/or the response from BT - is that enough.

I use thunderbird mail client. Does it offer more info that might help?

What I can't see is how to PM!

Bill

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @BS6600,

You can drop me a PM Here

Copying the full email over including headers would be great, you can get the headers in thunderbird by clicking on the message then selecting View > Headers > All. (You can then change this back with View > Headers > Normal)

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BS6600
Grafter

Thanks Harry - just done that, hope it helps

BS6600
Grafter

Hi Team,

In the interests of science I resent my email 

First to one member@btinternet.com - no error reported by BT and received OK

Second to all 50 of the originals addressees - no error reported by BT and acknowledgements received from a couple. I did (by mistake) send them as CC not BCC as I usually do, but I guess that wouldn't matter.

If I were on the help desk, I'd say - "just a blip - keep an eye on it" so I suggest you say the same to me and next week we'll see.

Unless you want to pursue it I suggest we let it lie, next Tuesday I'll do my weekly newsletter and post an update and we may be able to close the thread.

Thanks anyway,

Bill

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

No problem @BS6600,

I must admit that it will be difficult to diagnose the issue while it isn't occurring and @HarryB is currently out of office so I'm afraid that I don't have access to the information you sent him.

Let us know if you experience any further issues on Tuesday or before and if you do send me the same information as Harry so we can take a look.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

While I'm afraid I don't seem to have received a PM from you, if the issue is no longer occurring, it's unlikely we'd find any spam flags at this point to be honest if it's not longer rejecting with this so your suggesting sounds like the best option at this stage. If you do start to experience problems again moving forward, we'll be happy to try and help.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BS6600
Grafter

I just sent this week's mailshot and BTInternet.com rejected all of it's customers with the same message as last week.

I used BCC this time.  last week with BCC it failed but with CC it worked.

Apart from text updates the message sent was similar to last week; I sent expanded version of my email and BTInternet's reply last week by  PM

Bill

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What SMTP server are you sending these messages through? There's an allusion in some of the info you've provided that it's a Zen SMTP server. If it is, then these rejections are outside of Plusnet's control.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

totterdell
Dabbler

My emails to any @btinternet.com address are not being bounced. This started when sent a couple of blind copy emails to a group than included four @btinternet.com addresses.

How can this be resolved?

I have pasted one of the btinternet responses below. This was from a single email to a friend who has a btinternet.com email address as you can see.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* gw0etf@btinternet.com

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** gw0etf@btinternet.com ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've not seen a delivery failure message like that before if I'm honest.

Are you able to use another e-mail service to try and e-mail that address to see if you get the same bounceback?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BS6600
Grafter

Thanks Matthew,

I have now received this from BTInternet

The domain" @bscomputers.co.uk " having no spf record.The traffic sent by such domain with no SPF record would be less.
An SPF record is required to increase the traffic limit.No SPF record results in rejecting the mails once the counter reached its limit.
but the domain holder should be made aware to modify their SPF records in-order to ensure timely delivery of mails.Kindly contact domain admin/email provider to set up a valid spf record.

I take that to mean I have exceeded the publicised limit of 50 addressees imposed by BTInternet.

Unfortunately you do not support SPF records on my type of domain registration so I can't play with that.

So I will chop my mailing list into two to get the numbers down.

Bill
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Fix

Thanks for the update, Bill.

Good luck chopping down that list!

Anything else you need, just drop us a line.

Best wishes

Dave

BS6600
Grafter

Bob,

Sorry for slow reply. This problem appears to be caused by the absence an SPF record and Plusnet do not support that on my account.

Bill