cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email settings for iphone

outinthesticks
Grafter

email settings for iphone

just acquired iphone on orange network :), synched my email accounts across from outlook in order to send & receive on the move; can send but not receive, get messages saying username and password incorrect. Have used recommended POP server settings - mail.plus.net and relay.plus.net. Be grateful for any advice,
50 REPLIES 50
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: email settings for iphone

First try loggiing into http://webmail.plus.net with the user & pass you are trying, to check you are using the correct info. If it's your default or catchall mailbox then the username is your portal login and the password is your portal password. If it is a named mailbox i.e. bob, then the username is yourpnusername+bob and the pass the one you set-up for the bob mailbox.
James
Grafter

Re:email settings for iphone

I wrote this library guide for posts just like yours Smiley
http://community.plus.net/library/email/setting-up-plusnet-email-on-an-iphone/
outinthesticks
Grafter

James - many thanks for this; I'm receiving emails fine now, but when I try to send emails from the iphone I get a message saying "Cannot send email - the server rejected one of the recipient's email addresses". The messages stay in the outbox. I've tried a few different email addresses to no avail. Any ideas ?
outinthesticks
Grafter

not sure if me reply of 16th registered - I would appreciate any comments on the problem I've got sending emails from my iphone, thanks.
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi
Try:
Settings > Mail > tap on the email account you want to fix > SMTP > Primary server :
make sure it is
hostname: relay.plus.net
username: your member centre username
Password: your member centre password
SSL Off
Authentication is password
port 25
Smiley
outinthesticks
Grafter

many thanks for this Ramidoodle; I've tried these settings but still doesn't work and now unable to receive emails on the iphone at all; get a message 'the connection to the server failed'. I've tried both imap.plus.net and relay.plus.net for the incoming server and relay.plus.net for the outgoing server. I continue to receive the 'cannot send mail - server rejected one of the recipient's addresses'.
I've perservered with this for a few days in the hope it might settle down but to no avail. Any further clues would be really helpful, as I'm keen to use this feature of the iphone when on the move.
Many thanks.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the incoming should be IMAP or MAIL for pop3, the outgoing is relay for both
outinthesticks
Grafter

thanks for this, tried these settings but still no success I'm afraid. I've tried both the imap and mail settings for incoming server and relay for the outgoing server' I'm using my portal username and password, SSL is off.
starman

hi
I'm having the same problem. I can receive email but cannot send them on my iphone. I have use imap.plus.net and relay.plus.net and nothing. I was told by customer support that the outgoing emails should be setup with my iphone provider an not relay.plus.net, so if I'm with ornage, what would be the outgoing mail server?
Hope someone can help
regards
starman
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@starman,
Orange's smtp servers are :=
Orange 3G SMTP Servers
smtp.orange.net
smtp.orange.co.uk

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

petejackson
Grafter

Ah yes.  If you're connected on the Orange network you'd need to send out email from the orange SMTP servers rather than ours.  You'll have no problem collecting email from mail.plus.net via POP3 or IMAP though.
James overlooked that in hi stutorial didn't he?  Anyone fancy editing the article over at the Community Library?  http://community.plus.net/library/email/setting-up-plusnet-email-on-an-iphone/
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

James overlooked that in hi stutorial didn't he?

No, I don't think he did. He assumed that it was going to be setup to use authenticated smtp to the PlusNet server ( relay.plus.net ). Unfortunately some mobile providers seem to have started blocking port 25 to other than their own smtp servers. 3UK are the main culprit but I guess oranage may have started doing it also...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

outinthesticks
Grafter

many thanks for these tips, however I've tried the Orange server settings and get message 'Cannot get mail - 'connection to server smtp.orange.net failed'. I've got smtp.orange.net as the incomg server and smtp.organge.co.uk as the outgoing server.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've got smtp.orange.net as the incomg server and smtp.organge.co.uk as the outgoing server.

No, you should only use either of the orange servers as your outgoing. Use imap.plus.net as your incoming.