Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

dallday
Grafter

Re: email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

Got a 2 tickets from plus net

My emails seem to be working now - but I have all spam filters on the plus net emails turned off.

dallday
Grafter

Why no information on the main plus net status pages about this forwarding issue ?

daveh1
Hooked

I’ve had a ticket opened this morning and added some details to it, but now they’ve closed the case already, yet the problem is not resolved yet (for some reason, I mean this is only day 5 plusnet, no rush on your part it seems)
Why close a case when the issue isn’t resolved? I now cannot add any further info if needed.
I have business related emails being lost now, so this is a very serious matter with cost implications that doesn’t seem to have been given enough attention soon enough. They should’ve been on this last Thursday.
user23

Yes, I have the same problem.  E-mails forwarded from 123-reg to Plusnet mailboxes are getting bounced.  My company has been badly affected by this, as have myself and family who use the same system.

Plusnet have spent two days denying there's a problem but now admit there is.  Something changed at the end of last week and all they need to do is change it back.

CyberPagan
Hooked

Like the others here, I was experiencing rejections over the weekend. But so far today, I've not had anything rejected. That includes a number of test messages that I've sent myself.

Didn't make any changes myself, so the spam filtering should still be in place.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, we've not posted to service status as we only do so for issues that affect all or a large proportion of our customer base. If it helps it should be possible to set up a redirect to a non-Plusnet mailbox whilst this is being investigated. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
atb48
Grafter

For days, those sending emails also have been experiencing bounce-backs on 2 of my Domains, forwarded via 123-Reg. It has caused a lot of problems! I raised the issue with 123-reg as it appeared more that they were at fault. One problem is that the bounce messages are often short and lack much detail, even clarity as to where the bounce was actually created. 

Yes, 123-reg have told me that PlusNet is the blame. But I only have just noticed this thread. For very many years I've had no problems with my forwarding. Trying to tweak the forwarding at 123-reg  I found I could not create a "catch-call" forwarding any longer, but only specific forwards.  After reporting this to 123-reg, they have done something to fix the ability to create a catch-all forwarding.

My test messages from other, non PlusNet, email addresses have recently all succeeded in being forwarded to my PN mailboxes - looks promising! 

I have noticed a DNS "red-flagged" error relating to 123-reg DNS servers when using MXToolBox to check my Domains' Health - I have raised this with 123-reg. I do not know whether this DNS error has anything to do with this forwarding problem 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

It is odd that this issue is only being reported in respect of Reg123 … there are a lot of email forwarding services out there and it would be reasonable to expect that there are Plusnet users using them … and there are no reports from them.

If this were a Plusnet problem, then one would expect to see similar reports from those forwarding services too.

Simple question to ask of Reg123 - if they have not implemented SRS how do they manage the consequences of the sender domain having a SPF policy when they forward emails to a third party?  Reg123 need to provide a clear answer to this point question.  Their suggestion that Plusnet should TURN OFF SPF as a solution here suggests flawed thinking.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

This email issue is way beyond me.

I do not know whether this DNS error has anything to do with this forwarding problem 

If any of you out there are on a business account then you can alter your DNS on the router

If any others are using a Plusnet residential router (Plusnet Hub One for example) then our DNS is automatically applied, we can't change it at the router, but can on each of our own devices.

I've been having some pretty bad issues of late, not related to email (I have Gmail and Ymail only) and currently I've been allocated the following DNS settings:

Primary DNS:213.120.234.42 and Secondary DNS:213.120.234.38

The one ending .42 is Plusnets Safeguard, so could this be blocking your emails?

Plusnet do not know why this has happened, plus I carried out a factory reset of my router which also did not fix the DNS issue.

I don't know if this would be causing this issue for you, but thought it was worth a mention Wink

atb48
Grafter

Please note that the "DNS issue" does not have any relationship with the DNS setting in the router., but is in connection with the DNS records for a specific Domain, in particular the registered Name Server for that Domain.  The "red flag" error for my Domains is connected to the relationship between the registered (ns1.123-reg.co.uk) and its parent (ns.hosteurope.com), both related to 123-reg.

It would be wise not to confuse this thread by introducing aspects of the DNS as seen by a router.

I intend to get back again to 123-reg, after further considering the previous reply by Townman, but thanks for the comment. (However, although I do not want to have anyone continue any further with this aspect, may I just note that I tend always to code in Google DNSs in all my connected devices, rather than pick it up from the router) 

racal

@Townman wrote:

It is odd that this issue is only being reported in respect of Reg123 … there are a lot of email forwarding services out there and it would be reasonable to expect that there are Plusnet users using them … and there are no reports from them.

If this were a Plusnet problem, then one would expect to see similar reports from those forwarding services too.

From my view its a problem between Plusnet and 123-Reg, I've no idea where. My 123-reg account forwards to a number of different email providers, Plusnet, AIM/AOL and Hotmail. Only the Plusnet ones are causing problems. Its possible that these other mailbox providers are not as strict as Plusnet in implementing the standards, but something has changed recently between the way that 123-reg forwards mail or Plusnet accepts mail.Nobody seems to know of any changes made at 123-Reg or Plusnet and that is a problem in itself.

For my part, I have switched off the catch-all and switched on spam filtering in my Plusnet account and mail is still getting through 24 hours later to a single Plusnet address, so is it now working as it was before the problem?

atb48
Grafter

Yes (Townman), I agree "it is a odd that this issue is only being reported in respect to Reg123".  It also explains why I had not thought about searching for this PN Forum thread as I've only been communicating with Reg123, as that is where I reckoned the fault lay!

Reg123 have responded to Chats and Tickets but the result has only for them to lay blame with PN! They have also been instructing me to do things with SPF but, yes, also to me, in a flawed manner.  Some time ago, when spam issues were increasing, I tried to ensure my Domains' SPFs and DARCs were set correctly.  I had to move one of the Domains away from PN as they do not provide any comprehensive access to the DNS Records!  Reg123 does give good access and hence, together with MXToolBox guidance, SPF/DMARC can be set and tested.

I have not yet looked into the SRS aspect, not quizzed Reg123 on the subject.  However I have drawn their attention to a recently arising Domain error, that of "Primary Name Server Not Listed At Parent" - "More Info" from MXToolBox describes this error has having uncertain consequences and likely to induce failures in the DNS Propagation Tool, which it certainly does!  I'm using Reg123's Name Server for my various Domains, and have attached part of the MXToolBox "Domain Health" Report as an illustration of this "Red Flag" Domain issue. I have not yet fully researched the potential consequences, however I do know that DNS Health tests carried out previously did not have any "Red Flags"!  Reg123 have several times ignored my questioning, but only have been laying blame on PN.  I will create a new, more specific ticket with Reg123.

daveh1
Hooked

Is this resolved now? I just sent a test email to one of my forwarders that only has one recipient and it came through ok. The same thing wasn’t working previously. And have they just fixed the ones that we reported or is this a fix across the board?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Hi @atb48 

Could you PM me the username of your account? I'll then raise a support ticket asking for more information regarding this so that we can add this to the open problem we're investigating.

Anyone else experiencing this issue, feel free to drop me a PM with your username.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Timnewbo
Hooked

In answer to the ticket I raised about this on Saturday I was advised to refer to this Forum for updates.  The issue now appears to have been resolved, emails are flowing as they should.  However, nobody from PlusNet has announced this, nor has anybody from 123Reg.  If no such announcement is going to be made on this forum I wonder why I was directed here. My feeling is that neither company wish to make the announcement for fear of it indicating that it was their error. Obviously a lot of emails have been lost over this period and there may be financial consequences of that lost.