cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail timeouts

avmaestro
Newbie
Posts: 1
Thanks: 1
Registered: ‎29-04-2016

Webmail timeouts

I'm a Freenetname/Madasafish customer of many years standing.  Every time I access my Webmail via the Madasafish portal I immediately get a timeout message.  I log straight back in, usually without a problem, but if I do anything, delete a spam message for example, I get another timeout disconnection.  It can happen three or four times in a minute.  It was a common problem several years ago, attributed if I remember to a new server, so somebody at Plusnet/Madasafish/Freenetname knows how to fix it.

34 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Posts: 2,156
Thanks: 374
Fixes: 117
Registered: ‎22-08-2015

Re: Webmail timeouts

Hello there. Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your webmail service. This is a known issue which our engineers are working on resolving, however the madasafish webmail is based on a legacy system so occasionally bugs can crop up.

I would recommend using the plusnet webmail at https://webmail.plus.net logging in with your madasafish email address/password.

(Your email address won't change, you'll just be using a new interface, based upon a more modern system)

If you have any contacts saved on the madasafish mail, you should be able export and import them across.

Hope this helps

From when I joined the Plusnet Help Team in May 2017 my main Community account is @Gandalf.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Staff
malcolmfowles
Hooked
Posts: 7
Thanks: 2
Registered: ‎12-05-2016

Re: Webmail timeouts

avmaestro, you are not alone. Exactly the same thing has been happening to me for several weeks. From being a helpful tool, the Madasafish email only service is now a pain in the neck.

anoush, your suggestion about using plusnet webmail does work, so thanks for that. However, despite being "more modern", the interface is proving to be slower and less usable. So, given that we are actually paying money for this service, please find out what action is being taken, let them know you think of it, and let us know what is going on. Thanks.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 13,582
Thanks: 1,267
Fixes: 103
Registered: ‎04-04-2007

Re: Webmail timeouts


@malcolmfowles wrote:
So, given that we are actually paying money for this service, please find out what action is being taken, let them know you think of it, and let us know what is going on. Thanks.

We've an incident raised and our engineers are investigating. Apologies for the poor performance Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

arturox
Rising Star
Posts: 67
Thanks: 23
Registered: ‎05-06-2016

Re: Webmail timeouts

So three weeks or so later still no fix and this has been ongoing for a lot longer... many many months.

It has made FNN web mail almost unusable.

When I phoned a few days ago and was directed to another way in, this did prove to be a bit more stable but there are other problems associated with all this.

Using either Plusnet webmail or John Lewis webmail how do you set up mail filters?

And no, just having an entry in the address book doesn't  make any difference.

 

1)  In the FNN/Madas... Webmail portal I can filter out specific email addresses from the rubbish to be moved to the Inbox in the form of  "If To Contains fred@mydomain.co.uk Then Move To Inbox".

I cannot find any filter setting in either of the two alt portals?

2) I already have a set of filters created some time ago in the FNN webmail configs, and they still work filtering specific addresses out of the rubbish into the Inbox...

However, recently I set a new filter and this just will not work, so I remade the filter, then I added another, but it resolutely will not filter new addresses and they remain in the rubbish/junk.

And yes, any address to be filtered is also in the address book.

Thoughts please?

Arturox

 

 

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 13,582
Thanks: 1,267
Fixes: 103
Registered: ‎04-04-2007

Re: Webmail timeouts


@arturox wrote:

So three weeks or so later still no fix and this has been ongoing for a lot longer... many many months.

Apologies. There is an incident logged (ref: 91899), however the usual fix hasn't done the trick on this occasion so alternatives need to be explored.

Using either Plusnet webmail or John Lewis webmail how do you set up mail filters?

You don't because the functionality isn't offered. Any amendments to mail filters would need to be done using the Madasafish interface.

However, recently I set a new filter and this just will not work, so I remade the filter, then I added another, but it resolutely will not filter new addresses and they remain in the rubbish/junk.

Turns out we've a problem with the filtering too (ref: 92197) Sad

The script that updates customers' filtering rules is falling over every time it tries to run.

If email is going into the Junk folder when it shouldn't be then try highlighting it and clicking the 'not spam' button:

not-spam.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

arturox
Rising Star
Posts: 67
Thanks: 23
Registered: ‎05-06-2016

Re: Webmail timeouts

Thanks for the note Bob.

I didn't realise you don't have filters over here...  Very erm! how can I put this politely... A somewhat poor WebMail UI then if it has no user options to set filters...  Very old fashioned thinking.

With regard to the recent filter set address being dumped in the trash, you say: "Try highlighting it and clicking the 'not spam' button"  Yes tried that repeatedly and indeed it does work manually, but that doesn't fix the problem.

Under normal circumstances I visit Webmail maybe once a week to check for some specific things, otherwise I get the mail auto downloaded in the usual method by the computer mail client app including those addresses in the old set of FNN filters.

Assuming the FNN filter problem goes on as long as the Webmail timeouts, I'll need to visit webmail every day.

Mmmnnn! I don't think so...

Thanks

Arturox

 

Ps: Brings a question to mind... An important one to me.

Am I to assume, when you've totally subsumed FNN/Madasafish etc., into the Plusnet system the address filtering model will be removed completely?

Ax

 

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 13,582
Thanks: 1,267
Fixes: 103
Registered: ‎04-04-2007

Re: Webmail timeouts


@arturox wrote:
I didn't realise you don't have filters over here...  Very erm! how can I put this politely... A somewhat poor WebMail UI then if it has no user options to set filters...  Very old fashioned thinking.

Roundcube (the software Webmail is based on) can be configured to work with filters. It would require a moderate amount of development/engineering though.

A third party Roundcube install I have access to has filtering functionality:

filters.JPG

 

With regard to the recent filter set address being dumped in the trash, you say: "Try highlighting it and clicking the 'not spam' button"  Yes tried that repeatedly and indeed it does work manually, but that doesn't fix the problem.

Whilst it won't be immediate, marking emails as 'not spam' sends feedback to our anti-spam appliances and reduces the chance for similar messages to be spammed next time round.

Under normal circumstances I visit Webmail maybe once a week to check for some specific things, otherwise I get the mail auto downloaded in the usual method by the computer mail client app including those addresses in the old set of FNN filters.

Assuming the FNN filter problem goes on as long as the Webmail timeouts, I'll need to visit webmail every day.

If you configure your email client to collect mail using IMAP rather than POP3, then you can access the Spam/Junk folder locally from your machine instead of having to visit Webmail.

Am I to assume, when you've totally subsumed FNN/Madasafish etc., into the Plusnet system the address filtering model will be removed completely?

There's a desire to move to a single Webmail platform, rather than the three we have at present. If/when we get round to this, Madasafish filtering will have to be considered. We'd either need to do away with it, or implement a filtering solution on whichever platform we decide to keep/move to.

Save

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

arturox
Rising Star
Posts: 67
Thanks: 23
Registered: ‎05-06-2016

Re: Webmail timeouts

Mmmnnn! Some things to ponder.  ;-)

 

Bob, Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

Arturox

 

Niall
Newbie
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-06-2016

Re: Webmail timeouts

Any further progress with resolving this.

 

The login via Plusnet isn't any use as i doesn't give access to the multiple mail folders I have created, not distribution lists etc.

 

The only way that I seem to be able to successfully send messages is to first of all create/save them as a draft and then send them from there.   

 

Really frustrating.

 

Niall...

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 13,582
Thanks: 1,267
Fixes: 103
Registered: ‎04-04-2007

Re: Webmail timeouts


Niall wrote:

The login via Plusnet isn't any use as i doesn't give access to the multiple mail folders I have created, not distribution lists etc.

You probably just need to subscribe to them. Navigate to Personal Settings > Folder tab, and make sure you've ticked the folders you want to display:

email-folders.JPG

 

The only way that I seem to be able to successfully send messages is to first of all create/save them as a draft and then send them from there.  

That sounds a bit odd. What happens if you try clicking send from the composition window?


Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

malcolmfowles
Hooked
Posts: 7
Thanks: 2
Registered: ‎12-05-2016

Re: Webmail timeouts

Bob

Niall is describing one of the many symptoms of the timeout problem. More often than not - in fact virtually every time - you click send, get the timeout screen, and lose your message. Another one is going straight to the timeout screen from the login screen. (The icing on that particular cake is to be told "... 30 minutes of inactivity".) Another one is when clicking any of the buttons in the mail filtering dialogue, even moving a rule up or down.

Basically, anything you do in webmail may drop out. Madasafish webmail is appalling, and don't think it doesn't reflect badly on Plusnet due to the difference in brand, because it does, big time. We are Plusnet customers. You've let it drift far too long.

End of rant.

Malcolm

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 13,582
Thanks: 1,267
Fixes: 103
Registered: ‎04-04-2007

Re: Webmail timeouts

Ah, I see.

Subscribing to the relevant folders and using Plusnet Webmail should provide a workaround in which case.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

arturox
Rising Star
Posts: 67
Thanks: 23
Registered: ‎05-06-2016

Re: Webmail timeouts


@bobpullen wrote:

Ah, I see.

Subscribing to the relevant folders and using Plusnet Webmail should provide a workaround in which case.


But as there's no filter capability on the Plusnet side, I'm not sure that would work.

Appreciate the no filters this side has been explained, but for some of us that is an import aspect of our usage.

I for one would find it impossible to function without the filters I have in place on the FNN side. (Well the old ones I created that still work)... As I've noted in an earlier posting, recently created filters exist but are not acted upon.

Ax

 

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 13,582
Thanks: 1,267
Fixes: 103
Registered: ‎04-04-2007

Re: Webmail timeouts

The filtering that's already in place will work on the Plusnet platform, it's just you've no capability to create new filters. As you've rightfully pointed out though, that's not possible on the Madasafish platform either at the moment Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵