Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail - Extremely Slow

bazzer
Pro

Re: Webmail - Extremely Slow

@ChrisDancer wrote:

I've been getting that Secure Connection Failed message too, it started today when I switched to Firefox.

I use Chrome on my PC, Firefox on my MAC but have tried IE and Safari and the problem is the same on all browsers.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@ChrisDancer wrote:

I've been getting that Secure Connection Failed message too, it started today when I switched to Firefox.

Don't confuse the 'Secure Connection Failed' Firefox error with the slow performance being reported.

The Firefox error is due to a change that Mozilla introduced with Firefox 46. Said change is due to be reverted in Firefox 47 (June). Discussed in the thread here.

Edit: Looks like there's an internal incident under investigation for the slow downs (ref: 92189).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Johnny_Blue
Grafter

AT LAST! An 'Admin' responds! (But only to tell us it's a Firefox problem... )

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Johnny_Blue The "Secure Connection Failed" messages are a Firefox 46 issue. Slow webmail is not and we were advised an internal problem has been raised to investigate.

However I guess this does not merit a high enough priority for a Service Status post to be raised. Sad

David
MadScientist
Grafter

Webmail is slow with multiple browses.    It's usually OK at about 7am and unusable by midday.  

I use it quite a lot so I find this unacceptable.    I will probably leave PN because of this issue and go back to BT

grahamt
Rising Star

It's not just Webmail. I use Thunderbird and for the past couple of weeks it's been taking a long time (OK, about 10 seconds, but still a lot slower than it used to be) for the 'Delivering Mail' alert to clear when I send a message via Plusnet.

I don't think it's my equipment or software, because messages sent via Gmail from the same Thunderbird client are cleared more or less immediately.

David_W
Rising Star

@bobpullen - I got a secure connection error, and I use Opera.  Can't remember what it was, but it was something along the lines of the server sent back bad stuff.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Opera is based on Chromium AFAIK so that's odd. Keep your eyes peeled and shout if you see it again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bazzer
Pro

This is the message that I am now seeing on a regular basis with the browsers I use (mostly Firefox and Chrome).

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to webmail.plus.net was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

bazzer
Pro

It would be really helpful if someone from PN could actually tell us what's going on and when this issue will be resolved.

I've been with PN for many years, never considered leaving as the service has generally been very good but when things like this issue start to impact on daily matters one starts to think about looking elsewhere.

When a problem arises the least one should expect is for the company to communicate and provide updates.

MadScientist
Grafter

Totally agree - this issue has been going on for months and there have been several threads on it.  I'm not aware that PN have even acknowledged that there's a problem.      Well, there is?    @PN - What are you doing about it?

annthomasltd
Rising Star

Here is the official question to PN posed via their website reference number: 125938407

Can a Plusnet member of staff please visit the forum - Plusnet Community/Forum/Help with my Plusnet services/Email/Webmail - Extremely Slow
Look at the issues and comments from a number of your customers, investigate,assess, and respond?

Here is the response from Plusnet

We're looking to improve our webmail platform along with a number of other services however I'm not able to give any timescales for completion of this.

To investigate an issue specifically with your access to the service please provide us with more detail and any error messages you encounter.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 028 0282 or 0300 123 6123 if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards, [Removed] CSC Analyst

Here is my response

Ok, so a standard response is given. Where have you listed what I requested? Where is your evidence of investigating the situation - investigate from the dictionary = to inquire into (a situation or problem, esp a crime or death) thoroughly; examine systematically, esp in order to discover the truth.
Thus perhaps "do us proud" by contacting your customers listed on the forum to investigate their problems. And they HAVE listed their error msgs on that forum.
What kind of assessment gives the answer - We're looking to improve our webmail platform along with a number of other services however I'm not able to give any timescales for completion of this.
It gives the impression that nobody knows what is going on and nobody knows when it will be resolved.
Ask yourselves if your statement is valid - "We're a Sheffield-based broadband and phone provider, selling services to homes and businesses across the UK. We believe that paying less shouldn't mean a compromise in service."
What would you expect as an answer given the above statement. A standard generic response to major issues with your service, as stated by many of your customers on your website, surely warrants better?
Please try harder.
What would your response be if we replied to Plusnet - "we are currently looking to improve our method of payment to yourselves along with a number of other suppliers, however we are not able to give any timescales for completion of this, therefore we will not be making a payment until we can advise you further on this matter" ?
Please answer my comments, questions , and statements in turn, and not with any sweeping statements. We are a paying customer and surely deserve this.

So now you know the PN stance in the 1st instance. And you have a contact name and phone number going forward to contact, discuss, and give your opinions as paying customers. I will await a 2nd response before deciding a next action. Anybody reading with the same frustrations and not a member of the forum, like I used to, come join in as it takes 2 mins to register and then have the satisfaction of making your views clear in your own way rather than any drawn out "customer friendly" system. The more the merrier!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav) CSA name removed as per Forum rules

EDIT - How awful that everybody can actually put a PN name to a given issue - this IS an issue that a PN member of staff should step forward and show good customer service...............whenever you're ready then........???

bazzer
Pro

I have no idea what is going on today but in the last few minutes I have now received emails going back over 2 months which have been previously downloaded from the server and onto my PC.

bazzer
Pro

As each day goes by this issue is getting worse. I now cannot get logged in and when I do my emails are not loading.

Please PN respond and tell us what is going on.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bazzer wrote:

I have no idea what is going on today but in the last few minutes I have now received emails going back over 2 months which have been previously downloaded from the server and onto my PC.

That's much more likely to be a client-side issue rather than a problem with the collection servers.

@MadScientist wrote:

Totally agree - this issue has been going on for months and there have been several threads on it.  I'm not aware that PN have even acknowledged that there's a problem.

I acknowledged the problem here. Looking at our monitoring, there are load spikes affecting the collection servers most days during the week which may or may not be related. Our engineers are investigating, however there's no fix ETA at present.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team