Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail - Extremely Slow

ChrisDancer
Grafter

Re: Webmail - Extremely Slow

@bobpullen wrote:

I acknowledged the problem here. Looking at our monitoring, there are load spikes affecting the collection servers most days during the week which may or may not be related. Our engineers are investigating, however there's no fix ETA at present.

That could only be the cause if the load spike lasts all day, every day!

I don't think anyone at Plusnet really knows how bad the webmail service is for users. I'm quite happy to let someone from PN connect to my PC with TeamViewer so they can experience it.

colintivy
Rising Star

Sadly I have been getting the  Secure Connection Fail message, today Webmail is almost unusable. It was about briefly in the last few days but not at this rate.. I am using Firefox updated regularly (do not know which version it is) with Windows 7 Prof. This is getting very disturbing.with little apparent action to sort it.

martynculling
Dabbler

I have the option of using Madasafish webmail. But it is flawed (old software causes dropouts) so had started to use the Plusnet one. At first, it was marvellous, no dropouts and quite slick in operation once I'd got everything set.

Then it slowly deteriorated, the process of becoming slow, dropping out etc did not happen overnight so I guess few complained. At present, the Plusnet webmail is slower by a country mile than Madasafish, and certainly was not that way a couple of months ago. I asked my brother (also on Plusnet) about his experiences, and they are the same as reported here. But because it all happened slowly and he cannot watch his home account much at work, he's never put two and two together - until last night...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@ChrisDancer wrote:

I don't think anyone at Plusnet really knows how bad the webmail service is for users.

I've experienced it first hand, so am aware of how bad it is.

@colintivy wrote:

Sadly I have been getting the  Secure Connection Fail message, today Webmail is almost unusable.

I don't think the Firefox 46 bug is going to be helping here. It's fixed in Firefox 47 but that's not due for release until next month Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bazzer
Pro

bobpullen wrote:

I've experienced it first hand, so am aware of how bad it is.

Hopefully then Bob you will have some influence in getting this mess sorted out because it now isn't just the webmail which is a sham but uploading and downloading email is also affected.

Johnny_Blue
Grafter

I'm also getting problems with using an email client (Windows Mail), not just PN Webmail. I now have students not getting their work emailed through to them, and given that the A-level exams are upon us, this is a major problem.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Must admit PN web Snailmail Undecided is getting slower as the day goes on ?? 

if i log in before 09.00 its quite responsive , but as day goes on i have to use Thunderbird as web mail is soo sloooooooow Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bazzer
Pro

I agree. I'm using it now and it's fine but in the next few hours it will be extremely slow and unresponsive.

It never used to be this way but gradually over the last few months it has got worse and worse.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Johnny_Blue
Grafter

I'm also finding it faster this morning: only taking about 3 seconds to load a (text only, no graphics) email...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I suggest it would be useful if people reporting issues here identified the browsers they are using.  FF46 is known to be rather suspect.

When I do use webmail, I use Edge or Safari and see no issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

Back to its usual slowness.

I'm using Chrome right now but on my home PC I use FF (whatever is the latest version) and Safari and have the same issues.

It's not the browser in my opinion.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It's been getting gradually slower now for several weeks. It doesn't seem to matter from where you log on or with which browser. It took me 27 seconds today to even get to the logon page (hence my visit here) using Chrome on a stable 5Mbps service. I usually use Firefox at home and it's just as slow. At work on a 100Mbps service it's not appreciably faster. Once logged in anything to do with the Inbox listing seems slower than others.

Tags (1)
Johnny_Blue
Grafter

I also use a variety of browsers (FF46, PaleMoon, SeaMonkey, Chrome, Chromium, QTWeb, Qupzilla, Opera) and the issue is always with Plusnet Webmail, regardless of the browser used...

(My ADSL gives me about 13Mbps download speeds, so that is not the issue, either.)

EDIT:  ...and now I get this (see screenshot).

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Townman , i belive the FF46 is only on the Lithium  Forum Undecided that gives the errors , as web mail is elsewhere i would not think its down to Firefox

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MadScientist
Grafter

Webmail currently (Fri 12.30pm) unusable with both IE and Firefox!