Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send email using Three MiFi dongle

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Unable to send email using Three MiFi dongle

Hi all,
I've done some checking and it looks like this has been enabled on relay.force9.co.uk and relay.free-online.co.uk but there's something that needs changing before it'll work on plusnet (I think it's a firewall config). We'll chase our networks team about that one, but in the mean time anyone on plusnet can use either of the above two servers on port 587 and it'll work fine.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Using port 587 with the relay server from a different member of the Plusnet family is an interesting idea. However, since authentication will be needed when using a mobile connection, won't the system check the username/password combination against that relay server's entries? I would expect connection to be refused either because the username was not found or (except by coincidence) the password would not match.
David
Spark
Dabbler

I have a similar problem, except I am tethering to my iPhone rather than using a dongle.  I have tried PN support and Three support and both keep sending me back to the other.  To recap I have changed my outgoing server to be smtp-mbb.three.co.uk and have experimented with authentication on and off, using port 25, and 587 and have had no luck.
I would appreciate help from anyone who has succesfully managed to set up to send email from outlook via Three.
Spark
Dabbler

Problem sending email from laptop while tethering to an iPhone on Three

I am able to connect my laptop to the internet while out and about by tethering it to my Three iPhone.  I can also receive email in outlook..  However I cannot send mail.  It is clear from searching that this is a fairly common problem, but I have not found a solution that works for me.  To recap, I have tried setting my SMTP authentication on and changing my outgoing mail server to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk.  I have also tried changing outgoing ports.  None of this seems to work.
PN customer support sends me back to Three saying it must be a problem at their end.  Three are clear that as long as PN allows the use of port 25 it will work, so it must be a PN problem.
Any help from anyone who has managed to send email via outlook while connected to Three will be much appreciated; or indeed help from anyone who can offer any other advice or suggestions.
And yes, I'm aware I could use webmail, Gmail, etc but for number of reasons prefer and need to be able to use Outlook.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Topics merged to keep the problem in one place and hopefully find a solution
Question for Spark - do you mean you can't send email as you say you can't receive them
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you confirm which version of Outlook you are using please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Simon_M
Grafter

When I use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk, I have authentication switched off. You can't authenticate a Plusnet mail account against a three server.
Authentication is used when you are using a non-Plusnet connection to send via relay.plus.net. You can't do this over a three connection - three block port 25 to anything other than their own server.
Three will allow you to send over a different port, but there is no point, because Plusnet will only accept mail via port 25.
I use Thunderbird rather than Outlook, but the principle is the same. The only difference is that Outlook's setup screens are fairly impenetrable at first sight, while Thunderbird's are simplicity itself. The beauty of Thunderbird is that it has one small window that deals with the outgoing server for all accounts, so swapping server as you move from home/office to mobile is about three mouse clicks. No - 6. I just counted them. And nothing to type; just switch server.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To add to the above:
The point of using smtp-mbb.three.co.uk is that it allows you to set your Plusnet email address as the senders address (the normal three server doesn't allow that). You have to use the three login and password - not your Plusnet ones.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Simon_M
Grafter

It's a long time since I set it up, so memory is a bit hazy, but if I remember correctly, I don't think you do need your three username & password in the email client. You have already given those to make the connection, so I don't think the smtp sever asks for them again unless you are using authentication - which we are not (& mustn't), in this situation.
I can't easily check for certain, because Thunderbird never shows even if a password is stored, much less what it is. I can see that the three server settings box has the username as 'unspecified' & I know it doesn't ask for it as it sends mail.
You are correct about the importance of specifying three's mobile smtp server rather than their standard one. It's confusing, because most of their help documentation refers to the standard server (or it did when I last looked, which must be a couple of years ago now) & I remember it was a real detective game to get the name of the correct server. The '-mbb' (mobile broadband?) is the vital distinction to be able to use your own email address - not necessarily your Plusnet one. Just as well, because I don't have a three email address - I don't think it's a service they provide to their mobile broadband customers.
I think there must be more help on this topic scattered about this forum now than there is on three's own help pages. If anyone with technical writing skills wanted to collate it all into a Library article, I'm sure it would be welcomed. Might even be able to flog the result to three as well!  Tongue
Spark
Dabbler

Thanks for all the help... 
Quote from: Oldjim
Topics merged to keep the problem in one place and hopefully find a solution
Question for Spark - do you mean you can't send email as you say you can't receive them

Thanks Oldjim.  Yes, sorry, I mean I can't send.
Quote from: jelv
Could you confirm which version of Outlook you are using please.

I am using Outlook 2007.
Simon M has solved the problem for me.  You are right, I still had authentication switched on, doh! 
To recap for anyone else with this problem:
To use three mobile for tethering, you have to change the outgoing server to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk, and make sure you have outgoing server authentication turned off.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi all,
I've done some checking and it looks like this has been enabled on relay.force9.co.uk and relay.free-online.co.uk but there's something that needs changing before it'll work on plusnet (I think it's a firewall config). We'll chase our networks team about that one, but in the mean time anyone on plusnet can use either of the above two servers on port 587 and it'll work fine.

Not in my case it won't.
Tried everything here and on other forums, nada.
This is very frustrating. I even installed Thunderbird and created a fresh account in that and nothing works.
I even had a friend help me and he couldn't sort it either.
Crazy
Simon_M
Grafter

I tried relay.force9.co.uk & port 587 over a Plusnet connection & got 'SMTP server relay.force9.co.uk is unknown'.
I think that should be relay.force9.net.
That does get me a connection which works. However, when I turned authentication on (which would be needed from a non-Plusnet connection), it didn't seem to like my password. There are two possible explanations for this. Either Force9 doesn't recognise a Plusnet username/password combination, or I put the wrong password in. Remind me - this is the main account username/password combination that it required, isn't it?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You are correct, the Force9 outgoing server name should be relay.force9.net.
However as I speculated in Reply #16 only Force9 customers can use that for authenticated connections because only Force9 usernames and passwords are recognised by that server. It has to be like that because the same username can occur on Force9, Plusnet and Free online,
David
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Okay, I'm working with someone who has exactly the same set up as me with the exception that he isn't with plusnet.
We set our macbookpro's side by side with our own Three MiFi dongles hooked up to the internet then we both logged into each others MiFi dongles (it's okay we're consenting adults) What was the difference?
He could send and receive email using mac mail on both three dongles. I on the other hand can only receive.
Conclusion: Plusnet is the problem not Three dongle.
Can someone make a concerted effort at plusnet to get this resolved. We spent two hours last week trying to sort this using all possible combinations of previous solutions on the plusnet forum (and elsewhere) but I still can't reply to emails unless I go into webmail which is not convenient.
Regards
Crazy
Simon_M
Grafter

I assume he is sending via his ISP's smtp server. He is probably sending over port 587 & his ISP allows that. Plusnet doesn't.
Either that or he is using three's smtp server.
I take it that you haven't managed to persuade your email client to use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk?