cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to reduce mailbox size

ashesscott

Unable to reduce mailbox size

Hi I keep getting messages that I have used too much space in my mailbox. I have deleted loads of items and the folder size seems to stay the same. I have emptied trash.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

ken

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Unable to reduce mailbox size

@ashesscott As I don't use webmail (or IMAP) I don't know if this will help, but I have seen somewhere that you need to 'compact' the folders after clearing out trash. Click the 'star' at the lower left of the screen, and then the 'compact' which is revealed.

Let us know if it works.

John
ashesscott

Thanks I will try that

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Let us know if that's worked for you @ashesscott

Do any of your remaining emails contain large attachments at all? These can also take up space in your mailbox.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However some times webmail performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.