Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to perform operation. No free disk space

FIXED
markcohen
Hooked

Unable to perform operation. No free disk space

I have a legacy Totalise email account and have not been receiving emails for the past day.

I've deleted a large number of emails and have cleared the Deleted folder in case it is a space issue but I still am not receiving emails as normal.

When trying to move emails between folders I still get the message "Unable to perform operation. No free disk space."

I cannot get through to help by phone as there are only options for Plusnet products which do not include Webmail.

I have urgent emails due to come through - please help!

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Unable to perform operation. No free disk space

How are you accessing the mailbox?

Webmail or a mail client on your PC / phone...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markcohen
Hooked

Thank you for responding.

Both Plusnet webmail (https://webmail.plus.net/), which I have used for years, and mobile client.

The issues I have described are all from webmail.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

After deleting the content of the deleted items folder, use the compact folder option.  Alternatively, use some of the advice below, which speaks of deleting without moving to the deleted items folder.

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However some times webmail performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markcohen
Hooked

I have tried these and had compact on logout already set.

I have unticked Compact, logged out, logged back in and reticked,then logged out and back in without success.

I am occasionally now seeing 'Internal Server Error' flashing up.

Perhaps I need a Plusnet tech to check my particular account?

markcohen
Hooked

Townman has been very helpful however I still have the same issue.

As stated above, I cannot get through to a human at Plusnet for a webmail issue - if any Plusnet staff or someone with a means to contact one sees this, could you please put me in touch?

Many thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@markcohen wrote:

The issues I have described are all from webmail.

Can you delete using the mobile client?

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

markcohen
Hooked

I can delete using a client and I can also send emails.

markcohen
Hooked

Deleting from the client seems to have to kicked something off - I am now receiving emails.

thank you very much for your help.

Moderators Note

Fix moved to the post that resolved the problem.