Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Send Emails, Receiving OK

Slapdash2
Dabbler

Unable to Send Emails, Receiving OK

Hi,

I have been unable to send emails today, 26/09/2024, but I can still receive them OK

I have been away from home and am not currently using my Plusnet Broadband connection.

I have had no problem sending emails for the last 2 weeks either via the wifi system I'm using or from using Mobile Data on my phone. The last email I sent was 24 hours ago. The problem started today. I have not changed any settings

I can't send from my Laptop, using a Thunderbird client, nor can I send from my mobile, using the standard Gmail client.

The message I get from Thunderbird are :
'Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) relay.plus.net timed out. Try again.'

I get an errow window titled 'Login to account "relay.plus.net failed" '. In the window the text is "Login to server relay.plus.net with username s**********+jack failed. with the option boxes Retry, Enter New Password and Cancel. It doesn't accept my password..

I have not changed my email password, obviously it still works because I receive my emails.

My SMTP Server settings are:

Descrption: Null

Server Name: relay.plus.net

Port 587 (default)

Security Authentication

Connection security: None

Authentication Method Password, transmit insecurely

Username S******+Jack

On my mobile the Outgoing setting are

SMPT.plus.net

Port 587

Any sent message just stays in the gmail outbox with status of Queued, with a Enter credentials for my account when it tries to sync.

I have jack@p******.plus.com email account but plusnet also host that as a jack@p******.co.uk (sorry can't remeber the technical name for that), I appreciate they stopped offerring that to new users many years ago .

Thanks for any help

S

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Unable to Send Emails, Receiving OK

If you're away from home, you obviously need to modify your SMTP settings; SEARCH this forum for what
you need to change.
Slapdash2
Dabbler

With respect I don't think that's the problem. I am away a lot, I haven't had this problem before. My setting work just finde when I am away. I have had a plusnet account for 15 years.  As I said, I have had no problems posting emails for the last 2 weeks. I haven't changed anything om my account for months. Its also affecting my partner on her laptop and her phone. We can use and send emails on our backup gmail accounts, just not on our plusnet accounts. I therefore strongly believe it is a problem at the Plusnet end. Thanks anyway.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 436

Its also affecting my partner on her laptop and her phone. 

are you all using the same WiFi system ? Do you all get the same public IP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Slapdash2
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply MisterW.

Good question.

Yes we are both using the same public IP and the same wifi on the laptops..

Using android phones connected to wifi we get the same problems

However disconnecting wifi on the phones and instead, using using Mobile Data, I could send an email from my plusnet account to my backup gmail account.

So perhaps either a Wifi or Thunderbird issue?

I look forward to your next question

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Whose WiFi are you connected to?

If this works over mobile data then there’s nothing wrong with either the client settings or the Plusnet service.

The two possibilities are that either the WiFi network is not permitting outbound SMTP connections … or that network’s public IP address has a poor reputation and connections are being refused.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.