cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translator has disappeared in Webmail

mrick
Dabbler

Translator has disappeared in Webmail

Until yesterday, if I received an e-mail in German, I was given the option of having it automatically translated into English (Google Translate?).

Today, the option has disappeared, and I am left to struggle with my Langenscheidt Worterbuch!

How do I restore the Translator, and why did it disappear / verschwunden?

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Translator has disappeared in Webmail

Which browser are you using?

Webmail itself does not have a translation function - this sounds more like a browser plug-in - which might have disappeared.  For MS Edge can require plug-ins (extensions) to be restored after it has had an update.  See https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-new-microsoft-edge-10-rules-to-take-control-of-your-browser/

INSTALL EXTENSIONS FROM THE CHROME WEB STORE

Because the new Edge is based on the Chromium open source project, it supports extensions written for other Chromium-based browsers. That includes the Chrome Web Store, which means if you have a favorite Chrome extension, you can install it in the new Edge.

Before you can install extensions from other sources, you have to configure Edge to allow this option. You can do this by going to edge://extensions and flipping the Allow Extensions From Other Stores switch in the lower left corner; if you forget to do this before you visit a third-party extension store, you'll see a banner that lets you turn it on.

After that's done, you can download, install, and use extensions from that store.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrick
Dabbler

Re: Translator has disappeared in Webmail

Thanks very much.

I alternate between Edge and Chrome (I was told the latter was "faster"!).