Did you mean: 

Sudden issue with emails to self from Acronis

FIXED
colourqueen
Dabbler

Sudden issue with emails to self from Acronis

Hi all

Can anyone shed any light on this?

For years I have been running automated backups using Acronis and the final step sends a success or failure email to my (non Plusnet)  email account.

This email has suddenly stopped coming in the past 2 weeks.

Nothing has changed in my setup.

I have tried sending to a different email account in case the domain is blocked but that makes no difference.

Using the test email in Acronis, the message is sent ok yet never arrives.

The message is sent via smtp and relay.plus.net. All other emails via Outlook are working ok

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Sudden issue with emails to self from Acronis

Fix

A few more details please will make it easier to offer appropriate advice.

1. Who hosts the non-Plusnet email account
  2. Are the emails being sent direct to that account
  3. What are you using for the FROM address within Acronis - @youraccount.plus.com or something else
  4. Is the Acronis software signing into (authenticating with) the SMTP server (relay.plus.net)
  5. Can you be certain that the emails are being sent
  6. Have you tried changing the target email address to your Plusnet address

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

colourqueen
Dabbler

Thanks for picking this up - as I said , it was all working fine till 2 weeks ago and nothing has changed on my end.

1. Compuserve so essentially AOL
  2. Yes
  3. The Compuserve email address
  4. Yes,
  5. Yes, the backups are all running to schedule and completing ok. Also have the option of test emails which say they are working.
  6. Yes and that does work - as does changing the 'from' email to the Plusnet one.

So, given the fact that changing the 'from' email address has made it work, I will do that.

Thanks so much for the pointers.

Moderator's note:  Fix moved to the post identifying the solution to the problem.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Looks like you've had this set up in a broken way for a long time.  You ought not to use a third-party's SMTP service for send email from an address hosted elsewhere.

• Sending via Plusnet's relay using your Plusnet email  address is OK
  • Sending via the Compuserve SMTP service using the Compuserve email address is also OK

Other combinations might have worked in the past but as anti-spam measures (such as SPF) are tightened such shady practices are being rightly inhibited.

Expecting a third party to handle email from some other email address is not a reasonable expectation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.