cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange underliverable email

breslaw
Rising Star

Strange underliverable email

A friend with whom I regularly communicate is suddenly un-emailable. I got this failed delivery notice this evening. At first I thought it was her end. But then I sent her a test from another account I have, and it worked fine. Has anyone any ideas what is happening here?

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently: * jelliott@cruzio.com Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** jelliott@cruzio.com ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout-peh-004 [212.159.14.20]
Received-From-MTA: dns; [192.168.1.65] [80.229.235.196]
Arrival-Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 00:43:31 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; jelliott@cruzio.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [212.159.14.20] blocked using urbl.hostedemail.com; https://www.abusix.ai/search?q=212.159.14.20

Last-attempt-Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 00:43:31 +0000

10 REPLIES 10
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Strange underliverable email

Hi @breslaw,

I'm sorry to hear this has occurred. Have you included any attachments on the emails that you've tried to send and are the emails addressed to multiple recipients at once?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
PhilipHeyes
Dabbler

Just had a Plusnet to Plusnet email fail to send / deliver when writing to my father.

The email was sent using Outlook 2010 on a PC, total size of the email is 79K bytes & no attachments.

Error text is :

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* xxxx.xxxx@xxxx.plus.com

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** xxxx.xxxx@xxxx.plus.com ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

The problem with the OP's mail is that the recipient's mail server filter s mail using Abusix - they run honey-pot servers to spot indiscriminate spam. It seems that at some point in the last 30 days avasout-peh-004.plus.net has sent mail to one or more of their honey-pots, and has therefore been blocked as a source of spam.

Any mail from a listed Plusnet server to any MTA using Abusix is likely to be blocked.

Oh dear.

Wombat77
Dabbler

Hi your problem sounds similar to the problem I am having, you can read the details in my recent post. I didn't have any issues prior to the recent week or so long outage at plus net. It's a bit suspicious as I haven't changed any settings.

I can send and receive plusnet webmail onmy pc,no issue here, but can only receive emails on my Samsung tablet. Cannot send. 

Don't have any answers at the moment but will let you know if this resolved.

PhilipHeyes
Dabbler

@Wombat77  a quick squint at your recent posts suggests a failure to authenticate with relay.plus.net, the credentials for Webmail usually work with the SMTP server.

In this thread the issue differs, here emails are successfully sent via relay.plus.net (they become sent items)
but not delivered and we know this because the delivery failure is notified in a system generated email.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Looking at the link supplied in the OP, the Plusnet server was tar-balled on 10th December and appears to have been clean thereafter.  One wonders if that was due to a false positive?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

breslaw
Rising Star

No to both questions.

breslaw
Rising Star

Thank you. Useful information.

breslaw
Rising Star

The problem resolved itself within 24 hours. I believe the analysis by @corringham sounds correct.

168bill
Grafter

Hi,

I have just experienced this exact problem too, this morning.

I was replying to an email from my mum (who uses plusnet as her provider too), using my iPhone and got the same error message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* xxx@xxxxxx.plus.com

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** xxx@xxxxxx.plus.com ??:?? 
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

I waited for a short while and then re-sent the same reply (from my sent mail folder on my phone) and it was delivered without a problem.

As I am also using plusnet as my provider as well as my mum, I can only come to the conclusion that this must clearly be a problem in the plusnet environment, although clearly also an intermittent problem.

This would tend to tie in with a previous poster's thoughts on honey pots, but clearly within Plusnet's environment.