Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

A fix is in the pipeline, but it is stuck in QA?  Dynorod anyone?
See updates in PUGit here:  http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=201
MauriceB

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kfv

I too have found SM okay to use. Frustrating use of frames limits its use on my PDA - so I end up using mail2web.
Having read through all the comments I have found I can personalise SM to look a lot better, and be more suitable for my needs. I'm surprised more wasn;t made of this when it was switched over, and I am particualrly surprised it defaults to Times Roman as its font - it doe smake it look unfinished.
Regards
kfv
iriscomp

I find SM ok, but would appreciate the account name being shown somewhere on the main form...
BobRae

I use several e-mail identities - for internet purchases, different organisations I am a member of etc. It would be useful to have the option to download e-mails to the different identities when using SquirrelMail, instead of having to log in separately to each identity.
Other than that (and a Spam button) SM is fine for checking e-mails at work and getting rid of any that I don't need to keep on my system at home.
Bob
JohnJ-B
Grafter

I'm really NOT interested in seeing different "skins" and/or fancy colours - they just "bug" me!
1  I would like the option of automatically sending a copy to myself. When I send an email (via my normal email client) it automatically includes a "sent" copy. Under Web-Mail, I have to continually remember to add myself into the copy list!
2  Can the Security Graphic be made clearer? I'm fed up with trying to work out if 'c', 's', 'z', 'p' etc are meant to be upper of lower case (I usually get it wrong) & having to undertake multiple attempts at sending & re-sending the same email!! Also, I'm unable to tell if 'l' is a numeral number one, a lower case L or an upper case I.
Regards,
John
coastergrotto
Grafter

I no longer get the Security Graphic when sending emails via Squirrel Mail.
I just send them and Hey Presto.  Just sent a couple right now as a test.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I think you only get it if you're on a non-Plusnet connection.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gerontic

Squirrel Mail works. It's quick, it does the job. There's no need to fix it!
pdavidson
Grafter

Quote from: BobRae
I use several e-mail identities - for internet purchases, different organisations I am a member of etc. It would be useful to have the option to download e-mails to the different identities when using SquirrelMail, instead of having to log in separately to each identity.

If you have your different "identities" set up as Mailboxes then you will have to log in seperately. If you'd like them to all arrive in a single mailbox then I suggest you use the Alias functionality.
It might help to think of Mailboxes as seperate email accounts or email logins with a default email address of the Mailbox name (e.g. the "Paula" mailbox would have a default email address of Paula@username.plus.com). You can then add aliases to each Mailbox. So the Paula Mailbox could receive emails to Paula@.. (the default) as well as Tesco@... (an Alias) and Amazon@... (an Alias) etc.
The Mailbox functionality is very useful for those that want a seperate set of email addresses for each member of the family (as an example) that are collected privately in their own Mailbox and via their own login. Aliases then allow each person to set up many other email addresses to collect using that same login.
I hope that makes sense. feel free to PM or email me if not Smiley
aurorabore

Quote from: Gerontic
Squirrel Mail works. It's quick, it does the job. There's no need to fix it!

Whatever happened to the old saying if ain't broken don't fix it!!!!  We cruise for our holidays and I haven't been since squirremail was introduced, but the old site used to take forever to load up even here at home when I wanted to collect my e mails remotely.  It used to be quicker going through mail2web on the ship!! I am looking forward to seeing how much easier squirremail will be onboard!  I know that the connection can be slow and appreciate that it is a satellite link, but I am hoping it will be speedier.  Time will tell.  I'll report back when I get home.
Aurorabore
Vampy

SM seems fine as a web based email reader. Just keep it but give it a new face so it doesn't look so dated and drop the frames.
I suppose the most important part for you guys is that it not only does what it needs to do now, but will do it  in the future.
Greig
paulellis
Dabbler

I use webmail to check my email at work at lunchtime every day so the speed of loading of Squirrelmail over our slow company network is an advantage. I'm not too bothered about a fancy skin although a little bit of CSS to pretty up the fonts might be nice. It's difficult to say whether you should keep SM because I don't know much about the alternatives.
I had a problem with timeouts from the IMAP server when trying to view a very large Spam folder using SM, also I would have had to view 200 pages in order to delete it all (I gave up and used the mail program on my Mac to select and delete all the spam) a way of being able to empty the Spam folder in one go would be useful. I also second the request for Spam/Not Spam buttons.
Paul
Barry_Doe
Grafter

I use it when I visit hotels that have internet access for visitors, so I can have a quick run through any emails that have arrived since I left home. It's fast and simple so suits me 100%. I wish it didn't require copying those letters/digits for a reply though!
Barry
madbanana
Grafter

To add my comments then ... I use webmail only on my PDA whilst on a 'borrowed' WIFI connection and it does just fine for this.
In line with others, I too would like to see dedicated buttons for spam / not spam.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: madbanana
In line with others, I too would like to see dedicated buttons for spam / not spam.

So would a lot of us but unfortunately PN don't regard this as important enough within the to-do list to allocate a QA slot to check out code that's been waiting for 2 months.
Edit to add: I make it 19 requests for Spam/Not Spam buttons in this topic so far.  And there are 18 more in PUGIT Issues 201 & 155 (that aren't duplicates of those here).
David