cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

Quote from: barberriley
Also compare the market has leaked my email address to the same people - that was an address I used with them in 2008.

You mean the Gamer SEO people? If so, that is a significant development.
HolaPussycat
Grafter

It would be great to pull together any other sources of this leak.
If the above is true, and the Gamer SEO mail is also going to a mailing list used by Compare the Market, it would be easy to find out which marketing company should never have been entrusted with our addresses.
Perhaps then Plus.net can claim back the money from that trusted third party, that they're going to be charged by us for the leak.
HolaPussycat
Grafter

Can I take it from the lack of response that this isn't the case, and the Compare The Market spam is a different list? I also had a Compare the Market address dating to around 2008 which has not received any spam, and it's worth noting their terms and conditions when using the service, as it has been, at some point, not possible to opt out of having your details forwarded on to the insurers, who therefore may be the ones actually at fault. Having used the service in the last couple of weeks (with yet another new service identifying email address) you can now completely opt out of having your email address forwarded on to the insurers.
Also, about the clicking on the unsubscribe link validating the list; I'm quite certain that a couple of unsubscribes in no way validates the list more than the hundreds of recipients who allowed the linked images to be loaded automatically when they opened the emails.
I'm still waiting for that list of, "Trusted Third Parties." I find it interesting that they have information about us, given to them by Plus.net, but we can't find out who they are.
James
LordFox
Rising Star

OH, Plusnet, Now I'm Absolutely Furious with you!
I'm now getting this new spam directly to my base clara account - that has NEVER had spam to it in all the years I've had it! It's never been used!
The spammers are branching out from the database they have got from You, plusnet.
You're going to pay for this...

LordFox
Rising Star

It's only a matter of time before they run dictionary attacks on our domains, I would guess, if they are now moving on from the addresses they have from the database.
Plusnet, your cowardly silence and avoidance of this issue is unacceptable.
burble
Dabbler

Claranet seems an unlikely one to start with for a dictionary attack - more likely it's a separate leak, or if they're definitely related, perhaps it's the same leak or a new one from a third party who handled services for both ISPs.
Fwiw, most of my domains get dictionary attacked, many which dont get spam from any other source. Best approach is to use the name of the service plus the date or a random string, eg plusnet2015march@, plusnet_243kn73ridb23t9s@ etc. Makes it a lot harder to guess, both for spamming and attacking the provider's login form.
I wholeheartedly agree that Plusnet's silence on the matter is unacceptable - their plan was evidently to wait for it to go away, which sadly seems to be working.
dick:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

This problem seems to be endemic at the moment.
To day I have received SPAM email to an address used exclusively for communication with Railcard / ATOC.  Have sent and enquiry regarding 3rd parties used for marketing - it will be interesting to see if they use the same 3rd party as used by PlusNet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HolaPussycat
Grafter

I'm not letting it go away; the entire reason I use exactly that type of service identifying email address, is so that I know who is to blame.
The sheer lack of backbone on the part of those Plus.net staff, suggesting that the company they work for is not at fault, is something I cannot, and will not, tolerate.
It's a simple question:
Who are these companies that our details have been given to?
They know our details, Plus.net gave them that (and in my case, without my permission). Now I want to know who they are.
This behaviour pattern of avoidance only leads to Plus.net looking more guilty, not less.
LordFox
Rising Star

@Burble,
I cannot believe it is an unrelated leak to the PN one. The spam is exactly the same, easily identifiable format, with the same bogus company address at the end  that we are getting to the PN address. It has gone nowhere else. I actually run about 15 other email domains - none get anything like this particular spam message.
It is coming from tha same place, now to the base account of the address they have from PN.
To be clearer:
The address PN were given was something like: Plusnet12345@myclaraaccount.clara.net - that is where (and only where) the spam has been going. That address is received into the base domain, as below:
Now, it is also going directly to the base address myclaraaccount@clara.net, which I have never, ever used and has never received anything directly to it (spam or otherwise) except one billing email and subsequent receipt a year from Clara themselves. It (until now) has only ever received emails as the catch-all account for the unique addresses I generate, like the one given to PN.
My point is that the spmmers have for the first time moved away from the address they have acquired from PN, and are trying to guess more based on them. That will really open the floodgates and, if they do start a dictionary attack, could well swamp my account. I can filter or change one unique address, but not if they start an attack on the base address.
LordFox
Rising Star

Further to the above, I've just noticed that the emails are duplicated to both addresses; I get a copy of each individual spam email to PN's address and my base account.
LordFox
Rising Star

... and the spam floods in.
It seems Amazon Prime has now joined the various things the spam is trying to sell.
Empirical
Grafter

Just out of curiosity so these ever say "new media ltd" in the small print at the bottom?
hadden
Grafter

Sorry for posting in an old topic, but I think this is starting up again. I wasn't affected the last time, but I recognise the symptoms of initial "test" messages to the PUG and Service Status email addresses (only ever known by Plusnet),  followed by messages with a payload.
I have posted to a new topic here.
DTEG
Rising Star

Again this seems to be happened. I had an on-line chat with a Plusnet rep this morning who was unable to explain how a receive-only address used exclusively for filtering Plusnet service announcements got obtained and used by spammers. He said he would escalate the issue, but flagging it up here in case anyone else received such unwanted communications and can help diagnose the source of any data leak. In my case this morning's message was an undelivered parcel scam/virus with subject line "Failed on delivery", from sender reply@footballplayers1.ga masquerading as Royal Mail Team.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I also received the "Failed on Delivery" spam but to an email address which has NOT been shared with Plusnet.