Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent emails bounced with 'Nemesis' problem

robatworkuk
Grafter

Re: Sent emails bounced with 'Nemesis' problem

It's fixed - at least for me it is.

Here is the latest email from mail.com - a bit vague but they seem to have understood and whitelisted relay.plus.net

Thank you for contacting the mail.com Premium support team.

Please be advised that the IP address was blacklisted due to spam attack.

The IP address has been delisted, kindly try to resend the rejected email
again.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Diana Arcenal
mail.com Premium Support

I can now send emails to robxxxx@mail.com

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@robatworkuk I think what GMX mean is that they have reset the reputation of the avasoutnn involved (avasout08.plus.net was mentioned earlier). Though Plusnet try their best to stop this, a future burst of spam escaping through it could mean it gets blocked again. Sad

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

@steve_arnold wrote:

Have done so and to my surprise it was received however the headers show it was directed via avasout01.plus.net .

Steve

Since a couple of days have passed since that test was done could you perhaps try again to see if a different server handles it?

David
robatworkuk
Grafter

Getting a "technical" answer out of GMX is impossible, but you're probably right about the avasout08.

At least they took some action even if it took about 4 almost identical emails sending irrelevant headers.

If someone there who knew what they were doing had looked at my very first initial problem report (with relevant headers) they could have fixed it immediately after investigating if plus.net were indeed dodgy spammers. 

Would be interesting if the others on this thread who had issues can let us know if they are resolved too.

steve_arnold
Grafter

Just sent another test and it went through but it was directed via avasout01.plus.net which wasn't problematic, I had a email from GMX this morning:

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for all the information provided. This has helped us narrow down the issue.

You should now be able to send e-mails to your father as you used to.
We did have an IP range that was affected, "212.159.14.x". These IP were temporarily blacklisted due to Spam.

They are now delisted and should be functional.

We hope that you can communicate normally with your father.

Best regards,
Romina / GMX International Support

washboardmac
Grafter

Hi Folks

As suggested I've given this another try with my problematic mail.com recipient.  And it worked - well it didn't bounce back!

I'd previously followed this up with mail.com and got the following:

----------------------------------------

Hi Andy,

thank you for your message.

It seems as if your email has been rejected because of one of the following issues related to your mail server configuration:

- your DNS Records point to a list of dynamic IP addresses or to your provider's default entries
- the DNS record that you are using is not accepted by us.

$ host 91.125.xxx.xxx
242.197.125.91.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 242.197.125.91.dyn.plus.net

In order to be able to deliver emails to our system, please ensure that your server has a valid domain name (Fully Qualified Domain Name - FQDN) and a reverse lookup (rDNS).

We would also advise you to choose a name that it is different from the default entry of your provider, like "123-123-123-123-static.provider.tld".

A good format would be, for example: "mail.yourdomain.tld".

Should you have further queries regarding the correct configuration of your DNS entry, please contact your server provider.
For general information about RDNS, please refer to the following link:

MAAWG Sender Best Common Practices:

Many thanks

Konrad Meier

GMX MailSecurity

----------------------------------------

I haven't changed anything this end so maybe this is now fixed for all.

Andy
Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@steve_arnold wrote:

We did have an IP range that was affected, "212.159.14.x". These IP were temporarily blacklisted due to Spam.

That would mean the even numbered avasouts were blocked, whereas the odd numbered ones worked. - which ties in with the experience reported in this topic. Unfortunately I think it's pot luck which set relay.plus.net directs you to.

However all should now be working. Thumbs_Up

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

@washboardmac wrote:
- your DNS Records point to a list of dynamic IP addresses or to your provider's default entries
- the DNS record that you are using is not accepted by us.

$ host 91.125.xxx.xxx
242.197.125.91.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 242.197.125.91.dyn.plus.net

In order to be able to deliver emails to our system, please ensure that your server has a valid domain name (Fully Qualified Domain Name - FQDN) and a reverse lookup (rDNS).

Since you are using relay.plus.net as a smart-host, that is "your host" as far as their server is concerned. In fact it will appear to them as the Fully Qualified Domain Name avasoutNN.plus.net (where NN is two digits) with an IP whose reverse DNS matches.; that meets their requirement. The advice they gave you is not correct for your circumstances.

The problem you encountered should now be fixed, but the cure is removal of blacklists GMX had on some of the Plusnet outgoing servers.

David
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi spraxyt

Yes that was my (limited!) understanding too.  Good to have it confirmed.

Thanks

Andy