Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Servers unreachable?

FIXED
gp
Dabbler

SMTP Servers unreachable?

I just noticed that that I can no longer send emails, neither relay.plus.net nor smtp.metronet.co.uk work any more.

Also no response pinging these addresses.

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: SMTP Servers unreachable?

Fix

@gp The servers are definitely not down - I've been sending/receiving since ~0700 this morning with no problem. I have a feeling the servers are set not to respond to to pings, but I could be wrong. Sounds like it is a problem just for you, but I can't think of a reason - you need one of the email gurus to answer that.

John
gp
Dabbler

Thanks, that prompted me to have a closer look with wireshark which revealed that the SMTP server returns "message rejected due to spam or virus."  Thunderbird did not expose that message but just said "failed for an unknown reason".  I deleted anything "suspicious" i.e. web links etc. and tried again.  All working now

The servers did respond to pings in the past but that may have been changed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

None of the servers respond to pings by design. Such is both a security and proficiency measure.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.