cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Outgoing Mail Failure After Password Changed

DLeiper
Dabbler

SMTP Outgoing Mail Failure After Password Changed

I had to change my password several weeks ago after my email was hacked and ever since I have not been able to send emails from my plusnet email addresses on my laptop using Outlook, or phone, but Webmail works fine. I think the problem is very similar to the following thread, as I am also no longer a plusnet broadband customer, but I can't post to it now. In Manage My Mail, Select Email delivery Method it says "This feature is not available for your account type." 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/SMTP-Outgoing-Mail-Failure-After-Cancelling-Broadband-Email/m-p/...

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

40 REPLIES 40
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: SMTP Outgoing Mail Failure After Password Changed

@DLeiper wrote:

... as I am also no longer a plusnet broadband customer, but I can't post to it now. In Manage My Mail, Select Email delivery Method it says "This feature is not available for your account type." 

When did you become "not a Plusnet customer"?

Plusnet withdrew the ability for no longer a customer to continue to use their email service a short while after the post you linked to.  If you ceased to be a customer BEFORE that date and you requested the retention of email, then things should still work.  There has bee the odd case where access to the email component has been problematic.

Your description implies that this is a secondary mail box (accountname+mailboxname) in which case you could try setting the SMTP authentication details to be different to the inbound server settings.  Your problem description suggests that you can still log into the user portal, so for the SMTP try using different authentication credentials - accountname and accountpassword.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DLeiper
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply @Townman.

I first left Plusnet around 10 years ago, but kept the accountname which has been used for secondary mail boxes since. I rejoined in 2016 and had a different accountname, then left again Aug-21. I couldn't send emails until I changed my outgoing server to require authentication and port number from 25 to 587. It was all working fine until I had to change my password, after which I have only been able to send using webmail.

I have tried accountname (only) and accountpassword for SMTP for my secondary mail box and also tried same for my primary mailbox, but Outlook responds with "Your email server rejected your login", even though it works on webmail.

So I seem to think, like TootieFrootie on the other thread, my account type needs to be changed to "Plusnet Mail" ?

DLeiper
Dabbler

Hi, I'm keen to get this resolved and wondering if there are any Plusnet staff on this forum who can change my account type to "Plusnet Mail" ?

Thankyou

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi DLeiper, sorry to disappoint but that isn't something we provide any more as we've moved away from mail-only services some time ago.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@adamwalker 

If I have understood all that the user has stated, I think this case is one of EXISTING free email which was working for this user (who departed before the rules changed) but it has become broken subsequent to the password being changed to address a security breach.

Is it the case that the user is mistaken (in that they have never been able to SEND mail via Plusnet's SMTP servers) ... or has the email component on their legacy account become broken?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We don't have the option to change any account over to a mail only service unfortunately. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

... but is the account already mail only and (somehow) changing the password broke it ... ?

Either this was not a full free email account (the user NEVER was able to use the relay.plus.net server) or it has now become broken, having changed the password.  That is the user is mistaken about the prior status or something has changed alongside the changing of the password.

Might it be the case that the means of repairing a free email service have been deprecated?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry Townman, it would be down to the customer if they want to confirm which type of account they currently have.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DLeiper
Dabbler

Thanks @Townman for your assistance.

I can confirm this is a case of an EXISTING free email which was working for me (who departed before the rules changed) but it has become broken subsequent to the password being changed to address a security breach.

And I can confirm I am not mistaken, I HAVE been able to SEND mail via Plusnet's SMTP servers until recently, which presumably implies the email component on my legacy account become broken ?

As such, @adamwalker, as I seem to have a broken legacy account, can you please fix it ?

Thankyou.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the clarification, I'm going to raise this issue with our net ops team to see if there's anything we can do. It will take a few days to get some feedback on that but bear with me and I'll keep you posted. 

Just before I could raise it I need to ask if it would be OK to change your password temporarily as that's sometimes necessary to try and replicate such things on our side, would that be OK?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DLeiper
Dabbler

Hi @adamwalker thanks for progressing this. 

It's fine to temporarily change my password - is this something I need to do, or will you do it ?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No that's something we'd do if needed so thanks for confirming. I've documented everything on your account here and I'll be in touch as soon as we have an update: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=230356566

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DLeiper
Dabbler

Hi @adamwalker, just wondering how this is progressing, thanks ?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi DLeiper, there's a task with our netops team which has been triaged to the right person so I'd expect us to see a response to that by tomorrow. I'll get an email notification through when that's been done so I'll let you know as soon as I see that. 

Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team