Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REmoving email

IMR88
Dabbler

REmoving email

Hello all,

My plusnet email is linked to a holiday let account which I maintain as the best boradband in that area.

I no longer use plusnet's email (because it is too unreliable)

So I want to stop emails to this account so that people using it get their emails bounced and will then check the email I sent to say I am changing email address....

But I can't see how to do it.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

Re: REmoving email

@IMR88 

Why not simply remove/change the email address? You need to also ensure that that Catch All’ is not active. See  https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-use-plusnet-email/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Surely the right way to manage this is to continue to receive emails and then YOU respond to advise of your new email address.  Indeed most decent email clients will facilitate an auto response to emails, which could be used to advise of your new email address.  The last thing you would want is for an email to get a bounce-back leaving the sender having no idea how to communicate with you.

Leave things as they are, monitor the inbound mail.  Unsubscribe from mailing lists you no longer have an interest in; advise the correspondents you do have an interest in of your new email addresses.  Note that in many organisations their marketing target lists are drawn up some months before a campaign is launched, so you might still see emails from parities you have advised of the change.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IMR88
Dabbler

Thanks Both, I did try to find the remove email, but couldn't

Townman, a decent email client would indeed offer this, but latterly plusnets email has been awful. I've done all you've said so just want to kill the mailing lists I've forgotten about in 20 years.

IF it bounces and the person really wants me, they have other routes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

One would not expect a webmail CLIENT to do auto responses. Only an always active client, such as Outlook or Thunderbird running on a PC, connected to the mailbox can do auto response.

Auto responses server side are an entirely different ball game.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IMR88
Dabbler

OK, interesting. When I've tried with outlook in the past, I couldn't as plusnet isn't an exchange account. I'll have another look, thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In outlook set up client side rules on the mail account.

1. Create an email you want to send in response to inbound emails
  2. Save it as a TEMPLATE (in your template folder)
  3. Create a client rule for the Plusnet mail account
    1. Apply this rule after the message arrives
    2. sent to ...
    3. reply using ... the template you created above