Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using Gmail client to send email through relay.plus.net

Deepmind
Hooked

Re: Problems using Gmail client to send email through relay.plus.net

@CronByss @Townman 

I have other email host but want to keep my original CALLNETUK email address. I even tried to buy the Domain just to keep the email address.  Just a silly sentimental value i think. Anyway thanks for your directions and replies. I working with Plusnet Staff ( ClaudiaG23) to see how this can be sorted. I will keep you posted..

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Having two distinct issues (albeit seen as similar symptoms because Gmail is involved) on one topic does not help deliver clarity.

In respect of doing anything with Gmail what used to work has a high risk of being consigned to history, especially where email forwarding is involved. Gmail has mandated a number of non-mandatory standards which bite hard where one attempts to send via Plusnet’s SMTP servers where the sending email address is not @*.plus.com … unless that domain is fully hosted by Plusnet.

If the MX for your domain is elsewhere, one ought not to be using Plusnet’s relay services. You might have got away with it before, but Gmail’s mandation of SPF and DKIM really muddies the waters. Defining those for a third party domain does not fall within Plusnet’s regime to implement or fix.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Deepmind
Hooked

@Townman Plusnet bought Madasafish  which was previously Callnetuk. If they decide not to adopt those services then the have to notify subscribers to make alternative plans. Plusnet still support and maintain those Servers and should update protocols. 

CronByss
Hooked

@Townman 

I don't understand your position. The topic is "I'm having trouble sending email through Plusnet's SMTP servers from Gmail, please help". There are two symptoms reported because both I and Deepmind attempted to delete and recreate the Gmail configuration while investigating, which can no longer be successfully completed and taking us further from the topic's goal.

The symptoms are invariant to domain and remain true if I try to ask Gmail to forward emails from my *.plus.com through relay.plus.com.

I have successfully set up Gmail to forward emails from my alternative provider, so the Gmail feature isn't irretrievably broken.

Deepmind
Hooked

Update From PlusNet Staff:

"I'm afraid if webmail is working then it's out of our hands. This will be a client site issue which is something we don't support unfortunately. "

It seems that this issue cannot be solved. 

CronByss
Hooked

That's disappointing - I had hoped they would be kind enough to try and reproduce it while looking in their logs.

Thanks for updating the thread, I'm sorry it's not better news

Deepmind
Hooked

@CronByss Thanks! We live in a time period of "Pass the Buck". Its a shame noting can be done about it..