Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem setting up madasafish on iPhone13

FIXED
Franky
Fixes: 1

Problem setting up madasafish on iPhone13

I’ve been using a madasafish email account since 2001, from 2012 on an iMac and from 2017 also on iPad. 

However, I was recently unable to add the account to an iPhone and Plusnet customer support gave the impression it was not now possible to add to a new device.

I’m aware of the questions as to Plusnet’s intentions for email and wondered whether this has a bearing on the advice received from customer support.

My understanding of any requirements for setting up an email account, other than the basics, is limited and I’d be grateful for any thoughts on whether it should still be possible on the iPhone before I ask customer support to review their advice. 

Many thanks for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 100

Re: Problem setting up madasafish on iPhone13

Evening @Franky there should be no problems still setting up MAAF email addresses on clients. Are you using the full email address as the username?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Franky

Hello Will

Thanks for response.

For incoming mail server I'm using my full email address as username and mail.madasafish.com for host name.

So far as I can see I've replicated how my iPad was set up by my son for me in 2017.

I'm using the password I use to access my Plusnet account which has changed since setting up the iPad but I assume that should be ok?

I appreciate having another opinion that it should be possible to set up the account and know I'm not spending time on something unachievable.  

Thanks again

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,603

Are you using the Madasafish or Plusnet server addresses? See if the latter works, details can be found at: https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/ (if you haven’t already tried)

Additionally, the password is the one you’d use to log in to the Madasafish account at: https://secure.madasafish.com/myaccountdx/summary/ 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Franky

Looking back at papers from setting up madasafish in 2001 I've found a password that I don't recall using for years and it's this password that gets me into the madasafish account you provided the link for, so thanks for clarifying that point.

However, changing only the password results in "cannot connect using ssl" after attempted verification.

I then followed the settings guidance per the Plusnet link you provided, using the server names shown and then tried changing the domain from plus.net to madasafish.net as suggested but unfortunately with the same result, "cannot connect using ssl".

Does this mean I need to turn SSL off in advanced settings on the phone and, if so, what are the downsides of doing this?    Incidentally, the phone server details only prompt for host names, username and password (no port numbers or anything else). 

Unfortunately this is now getting into detail of which I have little experience so many thanks for your time, it's appreciated. 

Franky

Fix

Update re madasafish account set up and use of SSL.

From searches online I've learned that SSL certificates on a mail server are issued for the server name, not the domain name, so it's necessary to use server name when connecting to it over SSL.

So I changed the incoming host name from mail.madasafish.com to imap.plus.net and outgoing from mail.madasafish.com to relay.plus.net. If this is what Gandalf was effectively saying then I apologise for not understanding although I did try the Plusnet settings without success.

This, together with correct password, seems to have allowed me to add my madasafish account to my iPhone but I'll wait to see how it operates before celebrating.

Many thanks for your time and help.