cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet email redirect and migrate

ChrisBo

Plusnet email redirect and migrate

I have been told several times now by the plusnet help line that the plusnet email service is being withdrawn either later this year or next year, and I have been advised to set up new email accounts/address with another provider. I have set up a new email address with outlook, however, I cannot set-up a redirect for my .plus.com address, nor migrate my saved emails to outlook. The plusnet helpline operators do their best but frankly they appear to know no more than me! If plusnet are withdrawing support for email then the least they can do is help loyal customers migrate to a new address. I have been a plusnet customer for many years but since the takeover by BT the service has gone down the pan, and it is extremely unlikely that I will renew my contract when it expires

Does anyone know who to redirect a plusnet email and migrate saved emails?

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 280

Re: Plusnet email redirect and migrate

What you have been told 'several times' by PN agents is, at the moment, merely hearsay - this has been addressed numerous times in various topics on this board, and various 'agents' have been advised to cease presenting their thoughts as company policy.

No doubt, as the Plusnt brand is trimmed, the email service will be withdrawn at some point - many other ISP's have already closed their email service.

There has never been a redirect service available on the PN mail platform. Do you use a proper mail client, or just webmail? If you use a client, then there should be a way of saving your emails - I know there is in Thunderbird, and there was -IIRC - in earlier versions of Windows mail clients, but as I have not used MS programs for very many years, I do not know the present capabilities.

Hopefully, if and when the platform is closed, there will be more help forthcoming, but as an ex-customer, I can only go on what information is provided here on the Community, and odd things I pick up in off-forum conversations.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Hi @ChrisBo 

A warm welcome to the forums.

@ChrisBo wrote:

I have been told several times now by the plusnet help line that the plusnet email service is being withdrawn

I cannot set-up a redirect for my .plus.com address, nor migrate my saved emails to outlook.

If plusnet are withdrawing support for email then the least they can do is help loyal customers migrate to a new address.

I have been a plusnet customer for many years but since the takeover by BT the service has gone down the pan, and it is extremely unlikely that I will renew my contract when it expires

Does anyone know who to redirect a plusnet email and migrate saved emails?

As @jab1 has stated, the demise of the email service as suggested by support agents is just ill informed guess work.  I will add this thread to the email disinformation escalation discussion.

Redirection: should you close your Plusnet account @youraccount.plus.com simply will not exist and thus there can be no concept of redirection.  Whilst your account remains, there is no reason why you cannot drop the MAILBOX and replace the address with a redirect.

An email address can be either a real mailbox or a redirection but not both.  Therefore if you migrate the contents of your mailbox to somewhere else, once emptied, you can 'kill' the mailbox associated with the address and replace it with a redirect.

There are tools which help with mail migration ... if you plan well ahead of closing your Plusnet account you could just leave the mail migration tools running and not bother with a redirect at all.  See for example Mailbox Imapsync Online (lamiral.info) (there are others).

As for BT stripping the guts out of Plusnet I guess that's a fair take on migrating them to be the no bells, no whistles, broadband only supplier within the BT Consumer Division.  If you cannot compete with the competition, buy them out and crush them.  That said I see no point paying more for the same; neither BT nor EE would be my preferred alternative supplier.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@jab1 wrote:

There has never been a redirect service available on the PN mail platform. Do you use a proper mail client, or just webmail? If you use a client, then there should be a way of saving your emails - I know there is in Thunderbird, and there was -IIRC - in earlier versions of Windows mail clients, but as I have not used MS programs for very many years, I do not know the present capabilities.

Hopefully, if and when the platform is closed, there will be more help forthcoming, but as an ex-customer, I can only go on what information is provided here on the Community, and odd things I pick up in off-forum conversations.

Depends what you mean by "redirect".

There has never been the option to receive AND forward email but there has always been the means to have an address which is a redirect.

All of the major mail clients have the ability to create local off-line folders.  One does though need to have an effective archiving practice ... and remember to back up those local folders.

@ChrisBo - as I type this response to @jab1 I recall that the DEFAULT email address cannot be deleted and redirected, thus if you wanted to take the approach suggested above, you would need to create a new mailbox (address) set that to be the default, after which you could delete the mailbox and redirect the address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 280

I meant an ability to redirect mail to another completely different email - ISTR it was at one time possible to redirect Yahoo replies to (say) you@whoever.plus.com - think I used to do that, until they withdrew the facility.

I know there is the 'redirect' option, but I have never needed or explored it as I like to keep things simple, even more so now I have an ageing brain and more important things in my life. 😀

In answer to you last comment - I have always had an effective archiving process, anything I really want to keep is transferred to two external hard drives here at home on a regular basis, and then to a third one 200 miles away when I visit its location.

John