Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet SMTP server incorrectly rejecting outgoing email as spam

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet SMTP server incorrectly rejecting outgoing email as spam

The specific instances of this error seem to have been fixed - thanks. I got my last reply to my ticket in the early hours of Friday 30th March.

However Plusnet has not addressed my questions about the general issue.  Hopefully the fact that the Superusers have highlighted this will lead to improvements in the future.

from my ticket response 11:06am, Thursday 15 Mar 2018:
Please would you sort the general problem, rather than just fix the issue for specific emails - otherwise other Plusnet users and myself will have to send you headers of problem emails on an ongoing basis.

from my ticket response 6:38pm, Friday 23 Mar 2018:
Please would you fix the general problem this time, or at least explain why you can't and can only fix the error for specific instances as they crop up. Also, if you can't fix the general problem and can only fix it as specific instances occur, please would you explain why it has taken so long this time and how long I should expect it to take each time in the future.

from my post on the forum thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Plusnet-SMTP-server-incorrectly-rejecting-outgoing-email-as-spam...
Is resetting the spam filters for specific email content (i.e. instances of the error) the only solution available to Plusnet and their anti-spam-solution provider?
If so, are we as customers to expect to have to report headers of problem emails on an ongoing basis (and have to wait this long for a solution each time)? And therefore are Plusnet content to have to receive reports of headers of problem emails on an ongoing basis too?

snozboz
Rising Star

I've just had this reply to my Question/ticket #169781487, when I was asking about the general issue (my bold😞

If the issue, along with anything else, is apart of a wider issue that is affecting multiple people and we can see the problem is from our side, we would gather examples and look for the reason that something is not working as intended.

This is not the case here and would not be something that could be fixed generally for everyone. We see the issue as being marked correctly unless this is advised by specific customers that it is not the case meaning that we would then raise a query to ensure the spam flag is removed.

Questions raised to the internal network team aren't something of a quick fix and in some cases it is not always easy to fix this in a timely fashion. This could be due to ticket volumes / possible investigations into errors that are widespread or that in some cases, information requested from yourself is misinterpreted from what you are asking or that further information is required from the internal networks team to further diagnose a problem.

The issue at hand is not one that is common that we would come across on a daily basis vs the many other questions that we have raised and when the issue does occur, it is something we are happy to deal with but that we try to make sure that there is only one reason the problem is happening.

For a start, I was clear in my Question/ticket, along with others in this forum thread (to which I made reference), that the specific instances of this issue were affecting multiple users  i.e. everyone who included the same URL in the body of an email got the same error.  But also there were multiple examples of the same error and behaviour occurring but with different email content (different URLs and different attachments) in this thread and in my Question/ticket, and in other threads.  And there continue to be different specific instances in other threads - not many, but a continuing drip-drip.

Please would a Superuser (e.g. @Townman who raised this earlier in this thread) and/or a Staff member (e.g. @Gandalf ) push this further in to the consciousness of Plusnet, so that the general issue is addressed (as I asked previously)?

snozboz
Rising Star

There's been a bit of back and forward on my ticket/question #169781487, with CSC agents not answering my questions about the general issue (instead, just repeating what I already knew about the specific instances).

Then on Friday 27th April 2018, I experienced another instance of the same general problem: sending an email doesn't work, and one gets the error:

"552 C5ZrfWDrhUVt6C5Zsfi324 message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team." (where the random string of characters is different every time)

The error appears in different forms depending on the mail program one is using.  In Plusnet's webmail, it appears in a "blink and you'll miss it" red box at the top of the window, before fading away:Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 13.06.31.png

- then the email itself doesn't go in to the "Sent" folder, and there is no bounced message in the "Inbox" either.

In this specific instance, I haven't been able to narrow down what it is in the message content that is triggering a false positive - it's not simply an attachment or the URL or email address of the person I was communicating with or about.

I've added the headers and content from the messages affected to my ticket/question, into my ticket/question responses at these dates and times:

• 4:56pm, Friday 27 Apr 2018
  • 5:04pm, Friday 27 Apr 2018
  • 12:51pm, Saturday 28 Apr 2018
  • 1:17pm, Saturday 28 Apr 2018

Hopefully the CSC agent who looks at this will read all these responses, not just the most recent one as they often seem to do.