cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 365 issues with mails not clearing from Webmail!

FIXED
DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Outlook 365 issues with mails not clearing from Webmail!

Ok so here goes.....

I have been using Mozzila Thunderbird as my mail client for years, Last year I got office 365 which comes with Outlook. Thunderbird is a bit clunky and is quite low on features. So I decided to bite the bullet and migrate to Outlook after all I am paying for it.

I managed to convert my Thunderbird profile to .PST (That was is a whole other story) and went ahead with setting up Outlook as my mail client.

1st attempt.

I let Outlook setup my Profile, not realizing that it defaults to IMAP, so once I imported my mails to Outlook, everything from the last 6 years flooded back in to my web mail with warnings about my Mailbox size.

I then spent an hour sorting this out and clearing down my webmail which also cleaned out Outlook. Yeah thanks for that!

2nd Attempt.

After faffing around removing my mail profile from Outlook. I set up my Mail account this time as POP. and re added all my emails.

This time all was well my old mail didn't flood back on to the mail server, but and this is my problem. In Thunderbird when new mails came in they downloaded in to Thunderbird and they automatically disappeared from webmail and were stored locally on my PC, which is what I want. Outlook seems to be storing the mails locally as they should but they are not automatically clearing from the Plusnet mail server.

How do I fix this, is there a setting in Outlook I need to change? or is Outlook just not compatible with Plusnet mail.

2 REPLIES 2
iannewson
Rising Star

Re: Outlook 365 issues with mails not clearing from Webmail!

Fix

Havent got Office 365 myself but try.... "File", "Info", "Account Settings" and delete emails from server according to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/office-365-make-outlook-delete-emails-from-se...

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro

Re: Outlook 365 issues with mails not clearing from Webmail!

Thanks for the info

I have just checked as per the link, it is was set to clear items from the server after 14 days.

All sorted now thanks