Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing SMTP server's spam filter is hypersensitive

SilverE
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Outgoing SMTP server's spam filter is hypersensitive

I forwarded a delivery notification from Amazon and relay.plus.net bounced it as spam - not very helpful.

Talking to relay.plus.net on Sun, 29 Sep 2024 16:49:45 +0100
>>> DATA
<<< 552 [xxxx] message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

What would logging to my portal achieve?

The same has happened with a service ticket from another online shop. Both perfectly innocuous. Dial down the spam filter's sensitivity!

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 278

Re: Outgoing SMTP server's spam filter is hypersensitive

@SilverE Unless it can be proved what has upset the filter, it is difficult to 'dial it back'. Just for interest, if I  am forwarding emails such as those you describe (or any, to be more correct), I always remove the original headers, and have never had any issues with such forwarded mails being flagged.

John
SilverE
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Don't get your point about removing headers, I'm not forwarding as an attachment, it's simply the message body that's forwarded. And when I removed Amazon's body text - which arrived perfectly happily - my added message got sent no problem.

This has happened twice in the last month, and never before since I started using Freeserve in 1998. Something has been dialled up and needs dialling back. If PlusNet wants to inspect the offending mail I can PM it.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 278

I don't forward as an attachment either - just the message itself, but without the original senders address, return address, email title &c.. I have always done this, so I don't know what happens if I include them, but as you are the first to have noticed this, AFAIK, maybe it is your email program or something.

I have forwarded emails from Amazon, other online retailers, rail companies and other entities, and never had an issue.

And yes, I use relay.plus.net.

John