cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once this email outage fully resolved - what next?

H2a
Dabbler

Once this email outage fully resolved - what next?

Can a member of staff tell us now whether we should be looking at alternative email platforms? Are PlusNet committed to email upkeep or is it going down the route of PlusNetTV?

I'd rather have a few months notice, than a months stress to sort my online life/business out, can you help please?

14 REPLIES 14
elkieluca
Grafter

Re: Once this email outage fully resolved - what next?

Although I can now send emails plus net keep sending me the same emails over and over again!
Stevebod

..time to leave plusnet..this is a joke, 3 days and still no resolution!?

bainhouse
Dabbler

I STILL cant send emails, although I can receive them.   Got so fed up with this now and have been trying since first crash day to get things sorted.   Given up now and moved emails to outlook for time being until I find another provider.   Shame on Plusnet. Been with them for many years now.  Will be moving away from them with my broadband, telephone and mobile as soon as I can find another trustworthy site.

Does anyone know if the site has been highjacked?  and this the reason for the networking revamp

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@bainhouse wrote:

Does anyone know if the site has been highjacked?  and this the reason for the networking revamp

The site has NOT been hijacked (or any other fanciful ideas) - it was a network related failure.

John
DrHfuhruhurr
Hooked

Network related? If only Plusnet were a big internet service provider with expertise in networking. 

MamaBas
Hooked

Hi H2a    I came on here this morning (Nov 12) to find my email working although it took an age to Send.   Later on I logged in again, or tried to but it took FOREVER to log in, let alone get me to my emails.  I am due to make another DD payment on Monday - so do I cancel it!!!!   This is NOT A SERVICE and I'm not in the habit of paying for nothing.

MamaBas
Hooked

I'm not sure how to edit here yet, but just to add I have a Yahoo email addy and have been contacting people that way....... but that doesn't cover everybody who might need to contact me!   Grrrr.

jab1
Legend

@DrHfuhruhurr wrote:

Network related? If only Plusnet were a big internet service provider with expertise in networking. 

They are quite a big ISP, with knowledge of networking, but I was referring to the PHYSICAL network.

John
Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@jab1 wrote:

@bainhouse wrote:

The site has NOT been hijacked (or any other fanciful ideas) - it was a network related failure.

I'm not sure why, in the absence of any official information from Plusnet about the cause of the outage, such a concern should be considered "fanciful"? I've been wondering, as this debacle goes into its fourth day, why Plusnet are so reluctant to share information on the cause that long-suffering customers deserve. It has crossed my mind more than once that some form of third party action and a resulting data breach could be a possible reason. Of course, the easy way to stop any "fanciful" conjecture is to be honest with customers. Why wouldn't a reasonable company be in such a situation?

jab1
Legend

@Uncle_Tupelo I understand your concern, but the cause has been mentioned in one of the many topics now merged into the humongous one, and it was a data centre failure - not a hijack.

John
Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

@jab1 wrote:

@Uncle_Tupelo I understand your concern, but the cause has been mentioned in one of the many topics now merged into the humongous one, and it was a data centre failure - not a hijack.

This merging of threads just ends up with useful information being buried in a 44 page thread that no-one is going to read in its entirety. Although a "data centre failure" is not a cause - it's an effect and a pretty vague and high level description of one at that. It doesn't really tell us anything about what caused the failure and nor does it rule out third party activity as a cause. Plusnet need to provide credible and reasonably detailed information on the cause, and not buried in an enormous thread that few will see.

jab1
Legend

I had a feeling you'd reply something like that, and I can't quite see how a data centre failure can be an 'effect' and not a cause, but maybe my 30+ years of being involved with computers and data systems is trumped by your knowledge?

The reasons will be commercially confidential, anyway.

John
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

The thread over on Service promised things would be ok today.  There's been no update since that promise.  What REALLY is going on, and why are Plusnet reluctant to give us more information?

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

@jab1 wrote:

I had a feeling you'd reply something like that, and I can't quite see how a data centre failure can be an 'effect' and not a cause, but maybe my 30+ years of being involved with computers and data systems is trumped by your knowledge?

The reasons will be commercially confidential, anyway.

Failure is often the effect of some cause. And no, I don't think my 45 years working in tech trumps your knowledge, but it does mean I know a wee bit about cause and effect. Something caused the data centre failure - it didn't just happen.