Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: No Email Access

It is network-wide, @bainhouse 

John
glocal
Rising Star

Is this in any way related to the massive problems the mailserver has been having over a number of months? I hope plusnet will at last acknowledge the mailserver needs upgrading, even if email is unsupported these days. An ISP being unable to run a mailserver is embarrassing. 

breslaw
Rising Star

"I'm afraid there's really not much more I can share, we're aware of a problem and it's being investigated."

That sounds like you're holding something back. Not good for customer relations. Tell us what you know. Or should we let the Daily Mail ask you instead?

aw_Wilts
Hooked

We, in Wiltshire, have had no email access for at least 4 hours. As expected we cannot access our email via Webmail.

Any ideas over how long (hours/days) it will be to sort this

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hiya, sorry for the issues caused, they aren't location-based, we've an outage currently impacting some of our mail users, we're working on a fix but your location doesn't matter. We'll update once we have more information.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
jab1
Legend

@breslaw Although I share your frustration, have you thought of possible 'commercial confidentiality' issues?

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Email down since yesterday evening

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@glocal wrote:

even if email is unsupported these days 

Is that the case? I understood that webmail wasn't supported, but that email isn't is news to me. That's concerning.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@Uncle_Tupelo wrote:

@glocal wrote:

even if email is unsupported these days 

Is that the case? I understood that webmail wasn't supported, but that email isn't is news to me. That's concerning.

I'm not sure why @glocal has said this because it's incorrect. 

We continue to support webmail and email client's connections to our mail servers.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@quelquod wrote:

Wanting to see frequent updates is natural of course, but I can tell you from personal experience that when you’re trying to unscramble an IT problem, taking time out to say that you still don’t know how long you’ll be just wastes your time and doesn’t help anyone.

Reminds me of a BT colleague called out in the middle of the night to sort a problem at a large corporate customer.

Enduring constant harassment from one of the managers, he eventually 'lost it' and, pointing to the screwdriver in his hand, said "This is a screwdriver, not a (strong expletive) magic wand!"

EDIT: typo correction

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
briston
Aspiring Pro

I laugh at the service update. The next update will be at 12.00 pm. The update.... The next update will be 1.45pm. The update.... The next update.... I think you get the idea. Oh so you remember years ago when Plusnet lost a few million emails when they deleted both the main and backup email server data at the same time.
jab1
Legend

@briston If there is no further news, why do we need updates? And is this the same issue as the one you are referring to back in history?

John
jah
Grafter

Yes the lack of updates is irritating.  Too much of my time has been wasted by checking for status updates on or around the time of next update, only to find none.  A "still working on the fix" would be much more helpful to customers.

pwberry
Dabbler

It's not about hassling techies and wasting their time. 

There has to be someone - surely - on the Plusnet payroll, not a techie - a manager possibly - who's charged with informing customers of how things are - even if it's an admission that the techies are baffled.   

For a company to resort to silence when things go wrong, and thousands have their daily routines thrown into chaos, is unforgivable. 

James17
Hooked

I have heard a nasty rumour that Plusnet’s email service has been teetering on the edge of collapse for a while and the company’s policy is NOT to upgrade it. I hope very much that this is not true, it would seem to be a serious error of judgement.

If Plusnet is intending to discontinue email, could you make this policy public to allow people ample time to migrate their email to an alternate provider, rather than allowing the service to fall over permanently at some random point?