cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New broadband provider but kept Plusnet email only account. Now can't send mail via Thunderbird

FIXED
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: New broadband provider but kept Plusnet email only account. Now can't send mail via Thunderbird

Do you have the outgoing server configured for using authentication (plain text password without STARTTLS or SSL/TLS)?

When you were on a Plusnet connection that wasn't needed but it is now you have moved away.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ebnash
Hooked

Re: New broadband provider but kept Plusnet email only account. Now can't send mail via Thunderbird

Yes, I have changed the outgoing server to use authentication, but since I am no longer a Plusnet broadband customer their server doesn’t recognise my username/password. I am next going to look into adding/importing my Plusnet addy into my gmail account.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you are paying for the email only service it should recognise your username and password. Can you still log in to the portal?

Scrub that - if you can collect mail the username and password must be accepted.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm betting you haven't got the SMTP authentication configured correctly. Which email client are you using?

NOTE: The vast majority of email clients automatically turn security on and it must be OFF and just use a plain text password with no STARTTLS or SSL/TLS. I think from what I've read this can be a pain on Apple products.

ebnash
Hooked

I'm now trying to sort it on my desktop using Windows Live Mail. I have switched on authentication for outgoing server, but it is still not working. I have done everything the PlusNet website says to do, but I cannot get it to work.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Do you have a setting for the outgoing port number?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Welcome to the community forums @ebnash

From what I can see you've got a free e-mail account. If you're wanting to send mail from a client via our outgoing mail server, we'll need to change your account to Plusnet Mail for £1.06 per month.

Let me know if you want to go ahead.

EDIT: Scrap that. Notes on your account indicate that you've called in and aware of the above charges.

I'll get your account changed over now. Can you let me know if you have any issues in about 10 mins?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If this is what is wrong then given then anyone he spoke to that resulted in the following needs a severe [-Censored-]ing!

@ebnash wrote:

How did you fix this. I have the same problem and nobody at PlusNet seems able to help. They blame Apple, Dell, etc or my new ISP, which, by the way, does not offer its own mail service. I can receive mail but I cannot send it. The settings are the same as when I was a full PlusNet customer. Now that I have mail only, this has become a problem.

ebnash
Hooked

Set up redirect and now mail is successfully coming into my gmail account

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad to hear that!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ebnash
Hooked

I’ve given up trying to send mail from a Plusnet and have directed my Plusnet email to my gmail account. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Oh ok. Have you tried sending since I made the change to your account?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ebnash
Hooked

Yes and it still doesn’t work.

BlueRanger
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Just received notification of the revival of my original question.

So, how did we resolve it?

After a lot of faffing about that's how and even then neither Gandalf or myself were exactly sure what caused the issue or how it was solved! I've just reread my exchanges direct with Gandalf and it seems changing the way the password is sent from securely to insecurely may have been one element.

Don't forget I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird too and at the time of the issue could send and receive mail by direct login to Plusnet but not do the same via Thunderbird - which up until changing to email only had always handled Plusnet mail ok.

My advice is to screenshot all your mail settings and let Gandalf cast an eye over them and hope you can pick up on something together.

Even after the issue was solved it's taken Plusnet weeks to stop charging me for the broadband service which I had cancelled.

Hope this helps.

Steve

ebnash
Hooked

I am done with this. I have successfully diverted all my PlusNet emails to my gmail account and it is working just fine. I am not going to go into the details about how I got my original email box to divert, but I have a solution that works for me, both on my desktop and on my ipad. I will also set up on my iPhone.

Thanks for all your help. At least someone was interested in doing so.